Upgrading a Gateway SX2800-07

Well... it's gonna be a couple weeks on the fans, so I'll post pics of what I got.

The power supply I ordered was small enough to fit, but was going to require a lot of modification to the case the meet up with the openings in the rear (fan and power cord). There also wasn't any way to mount the new power supply to the case (except maybe 2 sided tape or something. So I came up with a new scheme. I put the new power supply inside the old power supply's case. Took a couple hours (I'm not real handy with a soldering iron... lol), but I managed to migrate everything into the old case. Now it's all in, and I'm typing to you on my Gateway currently.

Here's pics...

A view of the SSD installed in the DVD drive slot.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/jmdale1984/2011-06-14_00-49-33_383.jpg

Close up of the video card.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/jmdale1984/2011-06-14_00-49-21_828.jpg

Couple side shots of the case.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/jmdale1984/2011-06-14_00-49-12_242.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x51/jmdale1984/2011-06-14_00-48-53_390.jpg

you really need to rig up some kind of fan on that video card if your gonna be gaming there is no airflow in that case at all

Not using it for gaming... it's an HTPC. Just playing avi, xvid, divx, mp4, and mkv files 95% of the time. The other 5 percent is web browsing.

I am going to put a slot fan directly under the video card, though.

I guess it's just because it's a 350w power supply in a small housing, but this new psu is running the fan almost all the time. It doesn't start up until about 5 or 10 minutes after I turn the pc on, but the fan is LOUD! It keeps running indefinitely until I turn the PC off.

I put a household fan next to the case to blow air in, and after a few minutes, the power supply fan finally shut off. I just hope that when I get my other two fans in the case, it keeps that power supply quiet. That thing is too much, I have to double the volume on my tv just to hear over it.

Not using it for gaming... it's an HTPC. Just playing avi, xvid, divx, mp4, and mkv files 95% of the time. The other 5 percent is web browsing.

I guess it's just because it's a 350w power supply in a small housing, but this new psu is running the fan almost all the time. It doesn't start up until about 5 or 10 minutes after I turn the pc on, but the fan is LOUD! It keeps running indefinitely until I turn the PC off.

I put a household fan next to the case to blow air in, and after a few minutes, the power supply fan finally shut off. I just hope that when I get my other two fans in the case, it keeps that power supply quiet. That thing is too much, I have to double the volume on my tv just to hear over it.

That would be because it's overworked. ;)

You should of got this psu
OutletPC.com - $89.98 - Shuttle PC63J 500W 80+ Power Supply for XPC SX58J3 and SH55J2 Series

Just a note for anyone who still reads this post, is you use the power supply I mentioned, make sure you get a video card with an external power connector since the psu is only 20 pin and the mother board is 24 pin. The four extra pins powers the pcie slot, so if you have a video card that does not have an external power connector, it may not work (but then if you have a video card without an external power supply, then you wouldn't need a new power supply). I have the shuttle 500w psu and radeon 6750 low profile video card, and my sx2800 runs fine. Message me if anyone still reads this thread and you have any questions pertaining the upgrading your sx2800 +.

Back
Top Bottom