Upgrades for Sony PCG-R505ESP

Dustin_Broke1

In Runtime
I was wondering what can I upgrade on this laptop? I got this as a gift from my moms best friend 8 years agao and my moms best friend told me it costed him $4,500 back in 2002. I have the recovery CDs for this machine so I can recover it if something goes wrong and I won't lost any OEM softwares etc. This machine was top of the line from Sony back then.

Model: PCG-R505ESP

Here are some current specs

1.2 gHz Pentium III M

256mb PC133 ram can go upto 768mb if I add a 512mb. There is a non removeable 256mb ram that it stuck on the motherboard.

CDRW/DVD player combo

40 gig hard drive

Intel 82830M 32mb video card can go upto 48mb if I add 128mb or more.

Windows XP Professional SP3

Built in mini Wireless LAN

I saw someone said around 2008 that there is an external video card that can improve the laptop video card so it will play games better but I don't know if that's too expensive. This machine has been working great and still works good as new. Only in the past that I needed to replace the CDRW/DVD combo ones since it stoped working.

I found a OEM memory stick that is 512mb for $41 with shipping so that I think is a good deal for a PC133 type ram.

I was wondering what can I upgrade on this laptop? I got this as a gift from my moms best friend 8 years agao and my moms best friend told me it costed him $4,500 back in 2002. I have the recovery CDs for this machine so I can recover it if something goes wrong and I won't lost any OEM softwares etc. This machine was top of the line from Sony back then.

Model: PCG-R505ESP

Here are some current specs

1.2 gHz Pentium III M

256mb PC133 ram can go upto 768mb if I add a 512mb. There is a non removeable 256mb ram that it stuck on the motherboard.

CDRW/DVD player combo

40 gig hard drive

Intel 82830M 32mb video card can go upto 48mb if I add 128mb or more.

Windows XP Professional SP3

Built in mini Wireless LAN

I saw someone said around 2008 that there is an external video card that can improve the laptop video card so it will play games better but I don't know if that's too expensive. This machine has been working great and still works good as new. Only in the past that I needed to replace the CDRW/DVD combo ones since it stoped working.

I found a OEM memory stick that is 512mb for $41 with shipping so that I think is a good deal for a PC133 type ram.
He certainly did not pay that in 2002 or even 2000. If he did, he got ripped off. And no, you really can't upgrade laptops. Most you can realistically do is upgrade ram.

Yes it did really costed that much back then. It was top of the line and it's the Slimpro series from Sony. It very very compact and smaller and has a docking station. My moms best friend did say it costed $4,500 back then. He always got everything that was top of the line.

Eather way so you can only upgrade is ram? How about video card or hard drive etc?

This is a 12in screen laptop not full sized ones so since it was smaller it wasn't as fast as the fully size 15in or 17in laptops. I always noticed that smaller machines are slower than the bigger ones even if the smaller ones are top of the line.

Well eather way are notebooks capable of upgrading or are they very limited. It seems like desktops are easy to upgrade but I thought you can upgrade laptops too.

Yes it did really costed that much back then. It was top of the line and it's the Slimpro series from Sony. It very very compact and smaller and has a docking station. My moms best friend did say it costed $4,500 back then. He always got everything that was top of the line.

Eather way so you can only upgrade is ram? How about video card or hard drive etc?

This is a 12in screen laptop not full sized ones so since it was smaller it wasn't as fast as the fully size 15in or 17in laptops. I always noticed that smaller machines are slower than the bigger ones even if the smaller ones are top of the line.

Well eather way are notebooks capable of upgrading or are they very limited. It seems like desktops are easy to upgrade but I thought you can upgrade laptops too.

I do not believe he payed that much one bit.

You can upgrade the harddrive, but you really aren't going to get much faster performance from it. Just like in the last thread, you will be much better off just investing in newer hardware.

Back
Top Bottom