upgrade to vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3wcl@w

Baseband Member
Hi when i built my new rig a month ago i also bought vista 64 bit ultimate but at the time the driver support was poor so i decided to wait. Obviously more and more people are upgradeing to vista and i am pondering when is a good time to upgrade is now the time?. Also i am running raid1 and how do you install raid on vista 64

If Vista recognizes your RAID array it will install just like it owuld on a normal drive.

As far as the driver support it will be lower with a 64 Bit system since there is less driver support for that than a 32 bit system in the first place.

But overall the driver support from developers and manufactorers is less than satisfactory. It is still very sub-par. Which is a big dis-appointment since Vista has been out for almost 2 months already.

What reason do you feel the need to upgrade to vista? DX10 has not been released, nor has SP1. Driver support for Vista is still spotty. If you dont have any dire need to upgrade to vista, hold off until SP1 or DX10 is released. If you are itching for the graphic features then you have to determine if it is worth the price tag.

Check out this thread for more vista thoughts:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/upgraded-vista-xp-139192/

What reason do you feel the need to upgrade to vista? DX10 has not been released, nor has SP1. Driver support for Vista is still spotty. If you dont have any dire need to upgrade to vista, hold off until SP1 or DX10 is released. If you are itching for the graphic features then you have to determine if it is worth the price tag.

Check out this thread for more vista thoughts:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/upgraded-vista-xp-139192/
DX10 caomes packaged with Vista. It will not be released for XP at all. this is known. Run a dxdiag on a Vista system and you will see that it says DX10.

08ef294059.jpg

Also there is no need to wait for SP1. Why does everyone always say that. Did everyone wait for SP1 before jumping to XP...No so why wait now?

SP1 will only be the updates that they have out now just bundled into a big thing called a SP. Considering that there is only 3 Mandatory patches out there right now for Vista why wait? The driver support is the only real reason to hold off. Not a SP.

Actually there are several games that already do. Such as Company of Heroes, Lego Star Wars 2, among others. So there are about 5 games right now that use DX10. Just that there is only 2 types of DX10 cards out there right now.

The nVidia 8800 line and the ATi R600 line. Other than that there isnt a DX10 card out.

Still there is no major reason to wait. A service pack is just the updates to date and maybe a added feature like XP SP2 security center. Other than that it is just the combo of all updates.

Vista fans say there's no major reason to wait, but remember one thing. If you downgrade to Vista now, you will be working around your operating system, while in reality, it should be your operating system working for you. There is absolutely nothing you gain by downgrading besides some eye candy which looks sleek at first, but its not a big deal when you get used to it.

I can see making the switch if you are an uber gamer when games such as UT2007 and Crysis emerge, but ONLY if you have a DX10 capable card.

I dont have to work around the OS. I tell it what to do and it does it. Just like XP. So where is the arguement there? Vista acts just like XP does if you know how to work with the OS not against it.

The downgrade is XP since it has less security, older protocols, no drive encryption, basically no protection like Vista has. So why stay with XP?

YHes the Video Card is the only limitation you have for GAMES. As far as everything else a decent DX9 card that you can get for just about $50-$75 will work just fine with Vista.

I dual boot between Vista and XP. I find myself less and less in XP cause i dont need to have a firewall installed on Vista. The Virus protection is installed but pointless since there isnt any real Virues written for Vista yet. Ohh yeah and i have every applicaiotn that i used on XP installed and working on Vista.

I might be a fanboy of Vista but that is only cause i have it working for me. It does everything i need it too and i have had no problem with anything. From gaming to DVD copying to TV recording i get it all done. Maybe people need to try and work with Vista more isntead of saying it sucks and to stick with XP.

Good for you that Vista has worked for you. I'm happy for you, really. However, you are more of an exception rather than the rule.

I used Vista for almost 2 months and tried to make it work and like it. Thing is, its just not ready for primetime yet. Not all of its Microsoft's fault. Major companies like HP or Nvidia/ATI seemed to have been totally blindsided by the release of Vista. Not to mention Creative whose crappy Vista drivers defeat the purpose of having a dedicated sound card. My X-Fi sounds like night and day on XP compared to crap on Vista.

Here is a real enlightnening video on this subject.

YouTube - Windows Vista vs. Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom