Upgrade to ssd

KANIBOY85

Baseband Member
I am upgrading to SSD anyone know of any hdd cloning software so I can keep my installation of windows intact.

And hammy what goods a forum if I have to google everything lol... I use a phone I have no net and I only get 2 g in this house

When installing an SSD, it is best to do a fresh install onto it.

+1

I always recommend a fresh clean install of the OS as well.

The only reason I mention Google as much as I do, to a lot of people, is because I see folks on these forums starting threads to ask a question that could be answered accurately in a few seconds with a search.

It takes so much longer to wait for forum answers, and they are not always accurate. Of course, I had no way of knowing you're using a cell. phone. Man, you must have lottsa patience!

Agree with OhSnap and Hammy, but cloning your HDD to a new SSD is possible and will likely end up segment aligned (important for SSDs). I use Acronis True Image for this. I'd be sure that the HDD is cleaned up and the OS and apps were working perfectly before doing the clone. Some SSDs come with a cloning app.

Now here is the other side of the coin. You decide.

Yes, Wiz is correct. Acronis True Image, will make a duplicate image of your current C:\ drive. However, I don't recommend it. Why? Because unless you just recently did a fresh OS install, that C:\ drive is loaded with crapola, busted files, left over remnants, etc. Cloning an image, will just transfer all that junk to your shiny new SSD.

I'd much rather do a fresh, clean, virgin, install of the OS on that SSD. Windows will align the segments automagically. I've done it numerous times, on different solid state drives, with no issues.

Then, when your OS and software is all configured, and perfecto, that's when you want to clone a copy of the SSD.

Also, when doing a fresh install on an SSD, Windows will detect the drive as an SSD and disable things like prefetch, defrag and readyboost.

Also, when doing a fresh install on an SSD, Windows will detect the drive as an SSD and disable things like prefetch, defrag and readyboost.
Even if its a clone, Win 7 notices its an SSD -- I've done this at least ten times. It does turn off defrag, and one of the prefetches as it normally would with a brand new SSD. I thought readyboost applied only to USB thumb drives. Are you thinking of a Cache SSD? I believe that has to be turned on by the user.

Even if its a clone, Win 7 notices its an SSD -- I've done this at least ten times. It does turn off defrag, and one of the prefetches as it normally would with a brand new SSD. I thought readyboost applied only to USB thumb drives. Are you thinking of a Cache SSD? I believe that has to be turned on by the user.

I thought Windows disables ReadyBoost if an SSD is detected because it would offer no benefit.

I thought Windows disables ReadyBoost if an SSD is detected because it would offer no benefit.
True:

Windows 7 supports Windows ReadyBoost. This feature uses external USB flash drives as a hard disk cache to improve disk read perfor¬mance. Supported external storage types include USB thumb drives, SD cards, and CF cards. Since ReadyBoost will not provide a perfor¬mance gain when the primary disk is an SSD, Windows 7 disables ReadyBoost when reading from an SSD drive.
Understand ReadyBoost and whether it will Speed Up your System

Cheers my installation is almost clean its only a month old if not less. But because I have no Internet as I have moved I don't want to risk losing steam games for the time being as I will not be able to download them. I have foun some cloning software but will it clone partitions as there is a systems file partition their or just do both individually. I will be ensuring the SSD I fully operational with games and software before formatting my future media drive. Clonezilla I found. But will try some recommendations here.

I do use google but u think this app runs faster less packets to download I think then the net. Looked on getting a 3G relay but £195 for a house hold one crazy. No point getting net as its not my house

Back
Top Bottom