upgrade or new build?

fifteenrabbits

Beta member
upgrading older machines?

Hey there. I've got two desktop computers that were both built as moderately high end machines of their time.

One is 6 years old, and is operating moderately cleanly, but I get errors with Cubase and sometimes the thing freezes (on a new installation of XP Pro)

that one is a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 1 gig of ram

The other one is a newer machine, maybe 3 years old tops. It has been rebooting on it's own (maybe overheating?) It seems to reboot when its doing something, the last time it was burning a CD, generally it is running cubase.

The new one is also giving me vague error messages and a lot of trouble in Cubase.

this one is an Athlon 64 Dual Core 4200+ 2.21 GHz with 1 gig of ram.

Might these problems be due to incompatible parts or do things just age and start misbehaving? Is it time to build a way better machine or does it make sense to upgrade these ones?

I want to be able to produce music on at least one of them. Ideally both.

Thanks!
Rabs

I would say new. You're going to pay way too much to upgrade them since the parts are rare, and you aren't gonna get much more performance out of an AGP slot and that socket.

cubase le in both instances.

I don't know if there are subversions, but this copy is about 5 years old.

-Rabs

Ok yea i think i would go with gibson on this one you could build a new one for about what it would cost you to find parts for the ones you have.

Back
Top Bottom