Upgrade or Build new?

woody84

Baseband Member
by buddy has a Gateway GT5058. He updated the Graphics card about a year ago (don't know the model but a year ago it was $250) he would like more power for gaming.

I was hoping to get some thought about weather to upgrade his farther CPU, GPU, and RAM

or

basically build new and carry over his HDD and Optical Drives.

specs on his current computer:
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1008847/1008847sp3.shtml

would his current PSU even run a new graphics card and cpu?
what is the best cpu that will fit in that mobo?
is his current case safe for the heat that the new equipment would make?

not sure on his budget yet, what will get the most bang for the buck.

by buddy has a Gateway GT5058. He updated the Graphics card about a year ago (don't know the model but a year ago it was $250) he would like more power for gaming.

I was hoping to get some thought about weather to upgrade his farther CPU, GPU, and RAM

or

basically build new and carry over his HDD and Optical Drives.

specs on his current computer:
http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1008847/1008847sp3.shtml

would his current PSU even run a new graphics card and cpu?
what is the best cpu that will fit in that mobo?
is his current case safe for the heat that the new equipment would make?

not sure on his budget yet, what will get the most bang for the buck.

I would build.
You would have to change alot of stuff.
If you got a higher end gpu, that cpu might bottleneck it.
The ram is slow.
The drive is pata, its acceptable I guess but sata II is whats up to date now.
And finally, the psu wouldn't be able to do much with only 300watts

idk what motherboard he has so I wouldn't be able to tell you about what processor is better and I also can't tell you anything about the heat
the heat usually matters on the air flow in the case and I don't think prebuilt computer manufacturers worry all too much about airflow

a 250 dollar gpu last year, so im guessing something close to a 9800gtx?
if so, he might want to ugprade the ram and cpu, as what Metin said, it might bottleneck the gpu. A new 3gb/s hdd wouldnt hurt either, they're relatively cheap now, i saw a 1TB sata II hdd yesterday for 70 bucks!!

Also, what games does he want to play? If he wants to play top notch fps games then I would definitely suggest building a new computer. If hes using his ~9800gtx, then he can build a super nice computer for around 400$ easy.

If I was your friend I would completely build a new one, but transfer over the GPU, that is a good card, and can be transferred over, he can also keep the case if he wants, unless he wants a new sleek sexy case.
Everything else is kinda ehh, and needs to be replaced.

I did find that he wants to spend about $500 to $600 so it sounds like a good budget for a new build to me.

yeah he wants to play intense games. This is coming about from him seeing my new rig and how amazing Crysis and the new Ghost busters looks with everything maxed out. :eek:

thanks for the advise so far, keep it coming.

(another question)

if I build him a new computer, can I use the os from his old gateway? that saves $100 on the new build.

He never told us what gpu it was though lol

his current GPU is a G force 7600 GS.

I did find that he wants to spend about $500 to $600 so it sounds like a good budget for a new build to me.

yeah he wants to play intense games. This is coming about from him seeing my new rig and how amazing Crysis and the new Ghost busters looks with everything maxed out. :eek:

thanks for the advise so far, keep it coming.

(another question)

if I build him a new computer, can I use the os from his old gateway? that saves $100 on the new build.

his current GPU is a G force 7600 GS.

Ohh that GPU is not a big help.
He may need a new one to max out games. (Actually I'm pretty sure he will need a new one)
Depends what kind of OS he has.
Windows Vista, XP?
Also depending on how much RAM he needs, anything over 4 gigs will require a 64-bit OS, so like Windows Vista 64-bit and things like that.
Also is it a recovery CD or an actual operating system CD?
I doubt a recovery CD will work.

If he paid 250 dollars for a 7600GS last year, he made a large mistake and was probably mislead on its performance.

On another note, we'd all be happy to help him design a computer.

yeah I was thinking as much, so really all we have to start with is the optical drives.

thanks for all the help so far

I'll start a new thread to get some ideas for a $600 build, but I don't think he is going to be able to get what he wants for that money.

Back
Top Bottom