Upgrade from XP to 8 going badly!

Jonesman

Beta member
So I recently decided to upgrade the operating system on one of my pc's to windows 8. I know my pc's specs are fine for the upgrade via microsofts site. I bought a digital copy off microsofts website and I get get past the first stage to get the installation files. At first it gave me an error say "Download did not complete. The per-block retry limit was exceeded. File is corrupt." which I was surprised since the set up file was from microsofts own site. Got that error a few times and now it just says "unspecified error". I am really upset especially since this copy was a gift. Has anyone gone through this because the microsoft support team seems useless when I try to get there help.

Did you download the ISO through Chrome? If so.. try a different browser, such as Firefox or IE. I've had problems with Chrome (and sometimes Firefox) with large single downloads, where the file downloads corrupted. Experienced with personally with a friend trying to install Win8 Beta in a VM, where it was giving weird errors trying to just install.

Also, did you burn the ISO to a DVD and installing off of that? Or did you use Microsoft's USB tool to install Windows?

Hi I downloaded the setup.exe file from IE. I cant even get past the part where the blue windows 8 window downloads the installaion files so I can put them on my flash drive. I also tried getting the files from 2 different computers which have vista and 7 on them and the error I get on them is telling me I have no internet connection even though I was surfing the web fine from them. I am at my wits end here...all I need is the main files so i can boot from them and do a clean install but I can't get them.

Strange, I installed windows 8.1 on my brother's windows xp laptop via usb flash drive, just try
downloading it again and try some other program to burn it onto a disk (or is it disc?) or, try
to use a usb flash drive like you did before but use 'rufus' to extract the iso, it worked for me!

rufus homepage:Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Strange, I installed windows 8.1 on my brother's windows xp laptop via usb flash drive, just try
downloading it again and try some other program to burn it onto a disk (or is it disc?) or, try
to use a usb flash drive like you did before but use 'rufus' to extract the iso, it worked for me!

rufus homepage:Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

You don't need to extract the ISO or do anything like that. Just use Microsoft's USB tool, point it to the ISO, and it it will make it bootable for you: Microsoft Store

Back
Top Bottom