Upgrade CPU or GPU?

Lassalde

Solid State Member
Hi there,

I'm going to buy a computer that i intend to use for gaming only, and i was hesitating between these two:

1/ AMD Phenom x4 965 black edition (4x3.4 Ghz)
4 GB DDR 3
nVidia Geforce GTX 470
Motherboard: Asus M4a78

2/ Intel Sandy Bridge core i7 2600k (4x3.4 Ghz)
4 GB DDR 3
nVidia N460 GTX 1GB
Motherboard: Elitegroupe H67H2-M3 USB 3.0

The 1st one is 200€ cheaper, that is an argument in its favor (even if i don't mind paying for the 2nd one if it gives me a true performance boost).

The first one has a better GPU: GTX 470 whereas the second has only the GTX 460.
The second one has a better CPU (that's what I read in a review at least): i7 2600k 4x3.4 Ghz (AMD 4x3.4Ghz for the first one).

Which would be better for gaming considering i play at 1920x1080 resolution?

Thanks and cheers!

The 1st is good, definitely - It features an original GF100 powerhouse. And the 965 may be an older generation but it's still a very capable processor. Now, with the second...the GTX460 is no joke, either. It can still hang in there fairly well with the 470. And the 2600K would easily walk all over a 965. However, I see the chipset it features is a H67, which is a fairly media oriented board. While not as powerful as the P67, it's just as capable of taking advantage of SandyBridge architecture. Though the overclocking features will lack a bit. The good news, is that Intel's recent blunder only affected Cougar Point. So if you did decide on the second rig, the SB is intact. You can always easily upgrade a 460 when needed, or go SLI on it.

All in all, my vote is for the second.

May I ask why you are purchasing pre-builts?

May I ask why you are purchasing pre-builts?

I have never built a computer yet (always was a mac user and still am), therefore I'm afraid it'd take me too much time to build one, and that i might do it wrong, that's why i was looking for prebuilts.

Thanks for the insight!

No pressure, but honestly it takes about an hour. You get the hardware you want, at a price that will probably one-up the two rigs you're looking at (price:performance)

There are plenty of us here who would be willing to help get a hardware list together at a set budget to do what you want.

I agree with grant.

I recently just did my first build and I was amazed how easy it was. I was nervous about setting the processor and heatsink but they made it so easy to do...I used this place and youtube to really get an idea on how to build a computer. I need something visual and there are great guides on youtube.

With building a computer, you need to start with a budget. Then a CPU. And base everything off of that CPU. There are certain chipsets, then pick a mobo, and then ram that is compatible with that mobo.

Then a GPU that fits that budget, along with a Power Supply that powers all of that stuff... and then pick a Case that fits your budget with the size Mobo you selected. And there you go, you have your first rig...really....you'll need a CD-Rom, HDD, and an O.S though.. so factor that in. :D

but...you could build that 2nd computer probably for cheaper and it would be better IMO.

Also, Is the sandy Bridge still on recall?

Well i bought one that is similar to the second one: i5 2500k and a better graphics card ATI HD 6950 and an ATX P67a GD65 motherboard (it isn't affected by the issue some other motherbiards for sandy bridge have had).

I guess i'll build my pc next time, i've watched a few tutorials and it's true that it doesn't look difficult, but i'm satisfied with the prebuilt i bought.

Anyway thanks for the advice and help!

Back
Top Bottom