Updating Gaming PC, Very New Gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

timisyodaddy

Beta member
I built myself a new gaming pc, trying not to limit myself money wise while building it because I just recently got a new job.

Currently-
-Asus P8P67 Deluxe.
No problems with this motherboard, it's great.

-i7 2600.
I brought this because it's 1155 pin and didn't realize it can not be overclocked at all,
this disappoints me because I wanted to get into overclocking.

-G.Skill 1600 4x2gb DDR3 Ram.
Good ram, want to upgrade because there's better on the market and it's fairly cheap.

-Gigabyte HD 6950 2gb.
Amazing graphics card, runs everything on max so far, I haven't played anything to hard core yet.(ie Crysis 2)

-875 Termaltake ToughPower.
Good PSU, Wouldn't need to replace this.

-2tb WD Green Harddrive.
It's alright, I do want to change, though I only use this for everything besides OS and Apps(ie, itunes, fraps and sony vegas)

-Kingston 128gb SSD.
Fairly good, it's actually just broken on me, getting it fixed under warrenty, disappointed seeing as it has my OS on it and I can't currently use my PC.(On my mothers PC atm)

-Antec DF-85
Good case, no problems.

Seeing as thats all done, I want to talk about what I want to upgrade,
I'm fairly new to PC hardware and PC Building ect, but I'm very interested and anyones help is valued, thanks.

I'm not sure weather I want to Buy a i7 2600k, yes, I have a 2600 but I really want to start overclocking, most of use will say, what a waste, he brought a 2600 and now he's buying a 2600k, but i've learnt my lesson and didn't look into enough.
if i buy a 2600k, I will overclock to around 4.2 ghz, now from 3.4 to 4.2 ghz, will I see an improvement in my pc, looking to min max everything in my pc.

My Mother board has 4 Ram Slots, I currently have 8gig Ram, I want to upgrade this to 16gig Using G.Skill 2133 DDR3, is this a bad thing on a Duel Channel Mother Board, I've been told to leave it at 8Gig, but I would really like to increase the speed an the size, Will I see a difference in gaming with a 1600 mhz to 2133 mhz increase?

I want to buy another 6950 2gb, but the people I get my parts from have discontuined the graphics card, so i'm left with either buying a 6970 2gb, or a 6950 1gb, Which would be the better option? (I would be crossfiring obviously)

One last thing, I want to buy another Hard Drive, Am I good with the Kingston SSD? I've fairly good, i've already brought it and dont really want to buy another because of fair price and it wouldn't be upgrading, it would be replacing.

As well as I want to buy a WD Black 1tb Hard to store steam on and steam games ect ect, just games on this hard drive because i'm always having problems with steam on my Green Hard drive.

Thanks so much if you actually read all of this, any help will be great.

Thank you Again.

Your parts already are very good, I don't see why you would need to upgrade. If I had that setup and money available, I would just wait until next-gen parts were released.
However, If I were to upgrade with your setup, I would sell your current processor and invest into a i7 970 6 core.

the 970 isn't a 1155 pin is it?
wouldn't that mean to change my mother board?
the 970 are very pricey as well, bit outa the price range for one upgrade.

thanks for the input though :)

Your probably right, I may keep what I have and then spend big on the next gen gear in a year or so.

That build all looks great, but if you really want to OC, get the i5 2500K. Cheaper than the i7 2600K.

while I would upgrade the memory to a nice (2x4GB) kit of memory, I would stick with DDR3 1600MHz if your wanting to overclock. The higher speed memory will limit your cpu overclock, and you'll gain more power from overclocking the cpu than you get with a slightly faster memory speed. And it's easier on the memory controller when your just using (2) memory slots. I would buy this kit if it was my money.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

If you are going to overclock you should get a better heatsink than the stock cooler. This is pretty good combo deal on a 2600K and a Thermaltake Frio.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

well what i would do is crossfire your card with another for more performance/quality
if you want real good quality image

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom