Unstable Ping

Mentali$T

Daemon Poster
Hi everyone

I joined IDNet last month because of a problem (I thought I had) with my previous ISP...turns out I still have the problem.
So I really hope someone here can help me because I've had this problem for a while now and can't think of anything else I can try.

Basically when playing unreal tournament 2004 my ping can fluctuate from around 30 to half this or it will go to 0/999 for a split second and change back but it does this nearly every second I'm playing and it's causing a delay in shots and sometimes shots from other players aren't visible.
While I'm spectating my ping won't change at all, so it's only when I'm moving around etc.
In call of duty 4 I'm also getting kicked for "losing key packets" occasionally.

Looking at speedtest and pingtest I always get good results. Correct speeds, 0% packetloss and 1ms jitter.

When I ping servers that I play on, the results are always good with no packetless.
All I can think is that it must be something to do with the connection not being able to handle so much information being sent/received from the game.

I primarily use Windows 7 but did a clean install of XP a few weeks ago and getting the same results.
I've also tried another computer, a new router, new NIC, cables, the test socket.

Nothing helps.

Here are my router stats:

Linksys WAG160N

DSL VPI/VCI: 0/38
DSL Status: ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 8000
DSL Mode: ADSL2+
DSL Channel: FAST
DSL Upstream Rate: 1171 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 13327 Kbps

Down up
DSL Noise Margin: 5.4 dB 5.8 dB
DSL Attenuation: 30.5 dB 15.7 dB
DSL Transmit Power: 0.0 dBm 12.8 dBm

And speedguide analyzer:

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 2012.09.12 13:55
IP address: 93.89.xxx.xx
Client OS/browser: Windows 7 (Internet Explorer 8.0)

TCP options string: 0204058c0103030201010402
MSS: 1420
MTU: 1460
TCP Window: 66740 (multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 2 bits (2^2=4)
Unscaled RWIN : 16685
Recommended RWINs: 65320, 130640, 261280, 522560, 1045120
BDP limit (200ms): 2670kbps (334KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 1068kbps (133KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 115
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

I contacted IDNet and they said there's nothing they can do and to contact the game server admins but I don't see anyone else with this problem when they're connected. Also I created a dedicated server and joined through the internet not LAN and still had the same problem.

I've tried changing MTU to 1500 but whatever I do, I cannot set it above 1460.
In the router settings, it's set to 1500. Using DrTCP and checking registry - my NIC is set to 1500 and still my result is always 1460 on speedguide. IDNet said windows 7 automatically sets the MTU value but in XP it's also 1460 and won't go above. Anyone know why this would happen? And if this could be the reason to the lag I'm getting?

So not IDNets problem, or the cables, or router, or computers (unless both desktop and laptop have same thing wrong with them)...

Lost on what else I can try.

Thanks in advance

at this point i wouldn't think its networking rather something delaying the game. i would check video card compatibility and video card settings next. if the card is getting overloaded, i think the game would freeze and report incorrect ping results when it resumed normal operation.

are all drivers and game software on the latest version?

you could try attaching the modem directly to your comp to rule out router problems

All drivers are patches are up to date. I would think its something to do with my comp because ping tests to servers always return good results. Only thing is, I have the same problem on my laptop so cant be hardware related.

Back
Top Bottom