unrecoverable error - how do i back up my data?

laura2005

Beta member
firstly i had a winnt\system32\config\system error that wouldn't let me boot windows 2000 so i booted from the original disk and tried a dskck \p which stopped half way through and said there was an unrecoverable error. now i get a warning which says that my computer is operating outside normal specification so it is advisable to immediately back up data and replace the hard disk. i have no idea how to do this.

please, any suggestions? there's important work on there i need urgently! i can work a computer on a basic level but am clueless when things go wrong - all the info i can find to help is for techies!

good idea...Bootup to safe mode and run all spyware programs/ then run your anti-virus.

if you can bootup to safemode that is....If nort just do a system restore w/the Windows driver's CD.

youmay have to tell your CD drive to be the 1st in the boot secquence.

Yeah, if the safe mode is successful, save your files and get it off the hard drive! Run those programs like mr mixx mentioned and the worse that can happen after that is to reformat and reinstall Windows.

i already tried to boot in safe mode - it just gets to the black screen with the loading windows bar fillling up as usual and then just freezes and restarts itself after a few minutes. what's this about system restore? apologies for my cluelessness & cheers for the ideas so far.

Back
Top Bottom