Uninstalling some program updates safely

imagineall

Beta member

I'm running a 9-year old Dell 4100 desktop with a 40 Gb internal hard disk where all my program and update files are located, and I'm running out of space. Sometime next year I will get a brand new computer, (giving this one to a school), so I don't want to upgrade my internal hard disk. I'm storing all documents and photos on a 300 GB Maxtor One Touch external hard disk.

I've moved a couple of minor programs from drive C: to the Maxtor. I've also uninstalled most hardly-used programs and temporary files on my C: drive. Now I'd like to get rid of some more large old updates of Java. Which of these is it safe to uninstall: - J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Updates 1) 10) 11) 6) 9) - Java Runtime Environment Standard Edition versions 1.3.0_01)
1.3.1) 1.4.1_02) 1.4.2_05 Java 6 Update 2) Java 6 Update 1 ?

Thanks so much you for your help!

Thanks, ISOwner! I have deleted previous versions of Java and kept current one, and got some more space. Aprreciate your prompt reply!

Thank you Setishock. I used CCleaner and it got rid of more junk than some other cleaners I had been using.

Then, I tried to use its Uninstaller, hoping that it would succeed in uninstalling some bloated software which I am not using very much, or have replaced with others (my Add/Remove program on the Control Panel could not do it). In both cases I am getting one of the following messages: "Unable to locate the installation log file on ....", or "Setup is unable to find the work services file", or "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available" (After inserting the disk and making sure it's recognized as the source, I always get the message: "Error 1316 [or 1316A] network error occurred while attempting to read from the file.)

What do I do now? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Back
Top Bottom