uninstalling hard drive in SUSE 9.2, system crashes when remove emptyslave HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb2

Beta member
What am I missing? I added a HD as the 4th HD device in a SUSE 9.2 box and it was possible to transfer data to it fine. Now I want to take it back out to its home in a FD-less computer, BUT SUSE9.2 crashes at boot when I remove the drive. SUSE was installed w/o this drive & ran fine without it, then fine with it, NO SUSE relevant data is on the slave drive.

What do I have to do to uninstall the slave drive?

try removing the relevant line from /etc/fstab first and see what happens

you will need to open that file with a text editor while logged in as root and either delete the appropriate line or put a "#" in front of it

Simple. That worked. thanks

Now I am onto the fun stuff.... getting the distro I put on that HD and that is now in its home machine to boot. The distro was intended to run on minimal machines but it was intended to initially boot with a floppy. I just have CD and USB avail. AS I said fun is just around the corner. Got the machine running using the Ultimate Boot Disk, then tar&gunzipped the packages, but I think they are several subdirectories deeper in than the boot process will expect............. will just keep working on it. Last night just found out abt FAI-boot CD. Perhaps that will substitute for the FAI-boot floppy.

BTW does horndude mean that you are actually a brass player...and bike messenger mean you actually ride fixed gear?

Bike messenger is what I do for a living, and a fixed gear is in my stable of bikes yes, I also ride singlespeed too

horndude, well, my last name+dude and thats how that got started, an old friend nicknamed me that and it stuck, so I use it

as far as transferring that distro to new machine, you need a boot loader, a kernel either on a boot disk or on the target machine, and the filesystem setup and ready to go

at boot time the boot loader will cause the kernel to load and mount the filesystem on the hard drive, easier said than done, but not terribly difficult, the filesystem does have to be set up correctly with all the appropriate scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom