Uninstall GRUB?

If you have a windows boot cd, you can fix it using the command prompt there.

I believe just using the fixmbr command will do it.
Someone correct me if I am mistaken, as it has been years since I needed to do it.

I think that fixmbr and fixboot are the commands you'll need (this assumes that you've been duel booting) (these are accessed using the recovery console on the winxp cd.

after this you can delete (if you made it) the /boot partition as the boot record will no point to the windows boot loader rather than the grub bootloader.

This is what worked for me when I had to do the same thing:

In the command prompt using the boot cd:

C:\WINDOWS
CD ..
FIXBOOT C:
FIXMBR
BOOTCFG /rebuild

and that should do the trick.

fixboot is the more modern (Windows 2000 and later) command to use.

fixmbr is indeed relevant to earlier versions of Windows such as 98 etc.

Well,i have done it but it was rather interesting:

First,i decided to delete my Linux partitions to make things easier,But it didnt,it made things worse!

So then i switched on my pc and it came up with "Loading GRUB,stage 1.5,Error 22" and it would stop there.So then i booted off my Ubuntu live disc and went into the terminal and went to uninstall GRUB,it could not find it because i deleted my LINUX paritions! So then i tried booting off my XP disc,and when it asked me to login to the recovery console,it wouldnot accept my password,so i tried a differnt disc and it did the same.So then i downaloded the super GRUB Disc and tried uninstalling GRUB that way,so i did so then whenever i booted my pc it would come up with "NTLDR Is missing,Press ALT+CTRL+DEL to restart.Now Vista usea BOOTMGR.exe not NTLDR.So i did some research and i found out that the Vista cd could help,so i booted it up and the went to "repair PC" and then went into the command prompt and typed in:

Bootrec /fixMBR and that worked fine

and then

bootrec /fixboot

and then i resetted,and then it would come up with "BootMGR is Missing,Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" so i booted up the CD again and insted of goingto the command prompt i went to the "Automatic Starup repair" and that replaced my BootMGR.exe and now its working fine! Thanks for everyones help!

Back
Top Bottom