Unexplainable pc issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is power issue. You said you tried a second psu but of the same power? Try a better psu and see if It changes anything. You cant rule out power just because you tried an replacement that is exactly the same as the original. Your best best is the process of elimination and It's best not to leave anything out or you will find yourself backtracking and wasting time.

could also possibly be the cpu.

The model in your sig there shows an Antec Smartpower 350w model instead of the TP II or Earthwatts suggesting the amps on the rails are too low or the 12v cpu feed may be seeing a loose contact stalling the works on any board. The second supply could also be seeing the same.

I have to agree with JumaadJ to a certain degree on at least trying a slightly heavier supply like a good 430-450wer to see if there's a problem like that. But one other thing to consider would be how old are the supplies themselves? Remember the later P4 boards as well as all newer AMD and Intel alike use a 20+4 or 24pin main power connector going to the board. If those see a 20pin that would be an immediate problem.

Yeah, it WAS the power supply. I did a review search of that model, and holy ghost a lot of people that experienced similar things as me. So I swapped it with a Thermaltake Purepower 430W, running fine so far. Yet to test it on internet though- that'll be the real test as that's where it was failing before.

At least you know what the problem was. That little extra seen with the 430w should cover things for you in the meantime.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping! :) I'm tight on money so I just tried to fix it cheaply. I think i did pretty good, only out about $60. Hard to beat that.

Well, I'm running the previously screwed computer now and it seems to be working. Off to stream some things now to see if the problem is truly gone.

Thanks for all the help, I do appreciate it! Here's to hoping that it doesn't happen again- *raises mug*

Well, the problem is still persisting... just not as frequently. Only had two BSODs so far. I was applying for a job when it BSOD'd again, here was the message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x738F9F2D, 0x00000002, 0x000000000, 0F75F6672)

***fwcore.sys address F75E6672
base at F75E600, Datestamp 480F9265

I've gotten that one before.

It gave me another BSOD the other day while I was playing a game.

Stop: 0x0000008E (0x0C0000005,0x8056Ed7B,0xA9290970, 0x00000000)

This one was new.

So what do those mean? I know the first one most commonly refers to a memory read/write error, but I know for a fact that the RAM is fine. Memtested it and everything before. And it's not CPU or power supply either- just replaced those in case you haven't been following this thread.

This computer is cursed. There is NOTHING wrong with it at all, yet it won't work right!

Edit: I did a search on fwcore.sys, and it refers to my stopsign firewall. So it seems to be that that is causing the problem... So I tried to disable it, couldn't. So I just deleted it entirely. I can always use the windows firewall, or get another one if I need to.

Hopefully this solved the problem, cause a software issue is the only thing remaining.

Bad software! Here I never bother with firewalls to begin with. The UAC now seen in Vista was disabled as soon as I found the option for that when first getting the new version on here!

Lately I've been finding the Spyware Terminator has been doing it's job well since that places a guard on the system registry itself so even when going to remove something it will prompt you to allow that as well as any new startups! You won't need a firewall except on a router especially if shared.

This might be a reach, but how is the hard drive set up in the BIOS? Is it AHCI or SATA? We had some brand new Dells that were set up as AHCI and they would run for a few hours then die and were pretty much doorstops after that. Reset the BIOS and formatted/reinstalled and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom