unauthorized use of neighbors wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
least they can do is enable WEP or WPA that way someone has to be at least running linux and purposely crack the encryption

windowsXP makes it almost impossible, it can be done but the hardware list that actually works is really really small

my laptop is showing 7 access points right now, 2 are completely open, you would think in this day and age people would know better

Its a shady topic, i mean if you have the knowlege to setup a wireless network, why wouldint you protect it? Youre kinda screwing yourself actually, and shouldint blame anyone for using it since it is unsecure.

I haven't bothered securing our connection. But maybe I shouldn't worry because the next closest house is about 1/2 mile away.

Hello,

Assuming your questions refer to your title of your thread, 'Unauthorised use of neighbour's wireless' would be theft.

In UK law, it's identified as 'Dishonestly obtaining electronic communications services with intent to avoid payment of a charge applicable to the provision of that service'.

Its really stupid to not secure your network, or join an Unsecured Network, because you could easily log the information that the person on the network is doing, and you can go broke in a second.

also, regarding the sticky at the top, this should be in the Internet Access or something

The scary thing is this........ what are they downloading. Sure, using some one else's wireless just to check your email or look at your WoW actions is one thing. Howevever downloading stuff that it illegal, it's the owner of that internet account / unsecured wireless accesss point that takes the fall.

The scary thing is this........ what are they downloading. Sure, using some one else's wireless just to check your email or look at your WoW actions is one thing. Howevever downloading stuff that it illegal, it's the owner of that internet account / unsecured wireless accesss point that takes the fall.

true.. they could like start torrenting without a Network Scanning Protection like Peer Guardian or SafePeer, and your going to take the whole blame if tracked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom