Unable to connect to mapped drive

BrianS

In Runtime
At work we have a server that hosts our QuickBooks, Act! and UPS Worldship databases. When we turn on a computer, that needs to connect to those databases, we get an error stating:

The system cannot connect to the shared files. Either these files are missing or there is a problem with your network connection (Z:\UPS\WSTD).

Now if we go into My Computer and double click on the mapped drive (Z:) we are able to gain access to the drive and then if we go to open up Worldship again, it works perfectly.

Is there a reason that we have to manually access the drive first? The reason I ask is because this doesn't happen for other programs and it only happens on 1 computer out of the 4 that access Worldship. Is there a way to automatically make the computer check the network drive and maybe kind of look through it so we don't have to manually open the drive first?

With that sort of error string I'm guessing your using Windows XP?.. Are you using any anti-virus software that might be blocking automated access?

Sorry, yes I am using XP. The company uses CA (Computer Associates) but it still occurs when it is disabled.

When the drive was mapped, was it set to automatically reconnect at login? I'm assuming this is setup as a small network, which doesn't use network scripts to map drives. It sounds like the drive is not "remapped" at login, until you click on the drive in "My Computer". Un-map the drive, and make sure the box is checked that says "reconnect at login"- or something of that sort. Reboot the computer, login, and see if you are able to open up WorldShip without going into My Computer.

thank you for your help. Remapping the drive didn't help, but what I did do was share the My Documents folder on the computer where the database is and then creating a shortcut to that folder and dragging it into the My Documents Folder. It is a stupid work around but it gets the job done. lol

Back
Top Bottom