Ultra ATA100 vs. Ultra ATA133 ?

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
i was just browsing newegg for a new hard drive, and noticed that the Ultra ATA's are listed as either ATA100 or ATA133...what's the difference? And how do I know which one to get? My computer came with the ATA100 drive, can I put a ATA133 in it? Would the ATA133 be better?

the ATA133 has a faster data transfer rate of 133MB/s versus the ATA100 which has a transfer rate of 100MB/s. Both are essentially the same other than that.

On a side note, if you are looking to buy a harddrive you are best to not buy either or these unless your motherboard does not come with connections for a Serial ATA harddrive. If that's the case then I guess you don't have a choice.

yeah, i'm stuck with ATA. is there any compatability problems, or can i get the ATA133 in hopes of any, even though slight, performance increase? Is there different connectors or anything? Or will the 133 work if the the 100 did?

it works the exact same way. It will be faster but not significantly.

thebigdintx said:
i was just browsing newegg for a new hard drive, and noticed that the Ultra ATA's are listed as either ATA100 or ATA133...what's the difference? And how do I know which one to get? My computer came with the ATA100 drive, can I put a ATA133 in it? Would the ATA133 be better?

100MB/s vs 133MB/s

Look at Cache size too. Usually it'd 4,8, and 16 MB. :)

worse come to worse, your board does not support the 133 and it will down clock it to 100. and if you have an ATA 100 hard drive on the same controler as the 133, the 133 will only run at 100.

either way, it should still work

When im choosing IDE drives, I just choose the fastest rate and cache, it's the way to go! When you get the ATA100, but with a large cache, the cache can equal it out..

Back
Top Bottom