Uhhh, so what just happened?

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Ok, so. I leave my computer alone for about 20 minutes. I come back, it's completely froze. Won't respond to anything. So I do a hard restart... No signal to monitors. Try again. No signal to monitors, this time CPU fan is revving at 100 percent. Try again. Still no signal, this time fans running at normal speed. Try again. Nothing. Normal speed fans. Try again. BINGO. Comes back up, and is running now with no problem.

I've never experienced this one before. GPU maybe?

Probably. What did you leave running on it? I had the same thing happen when I left AOM running on my elderly laptop for 15 minutes, paused.

Power spike most likely. Happen to have a storm in the area when that happened?
Every one needs to have a surge strip at the bare minimum. A good one like APC offers. I have two UPS's for my main rigs and the home entertainment system.

Could be that your PSU is telling you it's getting tired. Did it ever beep while your were trying to restart it?

I have a surge protector, and plus the PSU has surge suppression built in. Didn't hear any beeps at restart. I think maybe I'll try leaving it off if I don't absolutely need it being on.

plus the PSU has surge suppression built in.

This is false. No commercially available PSU on the consumer market has surge suppression built in, at least not the way that we're trying to tell you that you need. You need to have something protecting your system at the outlet like the surge suppressor or a battery backup. They're cheap anymore, good models start at $40 and go from there.

If you already have a good surge suppressor plugged into the wall and the computer connected to that, I'm inclined to side with AR, the PSU might be on its way out.

Back
Top Bottom