Ugh... Literature class..

superman22x

Golden Master
Am I the only one that finds it like useless? We have to read Huck Finn now, which, dont get me wrong, its a great book... but not really for high schoolers IMO. I read it in like 4th grade, and now I have to read it again in my Sr. Year? And get meaning out of Huck Finn? I like to read, but I dont do it to get meaning, I just read for the fun of the story and all. We have to read it, answer all kinds of questions about it, take quizes on the topic, listen to the teachers opions on the book, take notes every page or so on the book, journal about it... Is it just me, or doesnt anyone else see reasons why kids these days might not like to read so much?...

There are good things to english class, grammers stuff is important, but thats covered pretty well in 3rd-8th grade. I dont think another 4 years is too nessesary.... maybe a 1 or 2 semester class on grammer again in like Sr. Year, but not literature...

Just my opinions though.

I don't mind reading to enhance critical thinking skills. I'm a junior in HS. We just got done reading the Crucible. I hate it.

I read the crucible a long time ago too, it was good then. Do you go to a public school? I cant remember if that book promoted religion at all, or was just about it in general.

It doesn't promote religion, just about witchcraft. I do go to a public school however it's a very rich district. We're one of the top 100 schools in the country I think =p

Dude...better than some of the stuff I had to read for AP English Lang. And the AP US History textbook...ugh.

I hate that. I wanna learn to be fluent at what I'll need for a career in something that doesn't involve English. that is writing papers, spelling and grammar.

im in AP Prep, i like it so far, but thats because my teacher is awesome. i guess that's what you get for the best school in kansas :)

Back
Top Bottom