Typical formatting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastsvo

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I have been searching the archives and as a result, ran Maxtor PowerMax (low level format), then installed XP. Worked great, except that my 160gb HD was partitioned as a 130gb drive. Ok cool, thought I would go into XP's drive manager, see the unformatted 30gb and make it into a logical drive.

Well, to make things short, it's simply not there. Windows only recognizes the 130gb partition.

So, do I have to run a win98 boot disk, Fdisk, then install XP

or

Run Delpart and maybe even delete the MBR and then continue forward?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eric

I had a similar question awhie ago that went unanswered.

I believe windows' SP2 will bring in LBA and thus let your OS see the entire 160 gb. I could be wrong, though.

A 160gb drive should show up as 152gb give or take a gb. This is because manufacturers use 1gb = 1000mb, 1mb = 1000kbytes, 1kbyte =1000bytes, etc.. But even so you're still missing 22gb..

What mode is the harddrive setup as in the bios?

I gotta check the bios. But my version of XP (non SP1 or SP2) cannot see the entire 160gb I think.

So, do I delpart it and reformat it in another XP machine (SP1 and higher), reinsert the HD back in the original box, and then load my original XP?

Why dont you upgrade to SP2?

It's free, and even if you have an illegal copy you can do it

well my CD is an original XP Pro. Are you saying that presently at 130gb if I upgrade to SP2 it will magically see the drive as 160gb?

I think I need to reformat it.

search on the web for LBA, I am sure you will find a lot of articles about it.

like above mentioned, get SP2 and your problem will be solved.

so just upgrade it to SP2 w/o going through all the formatting bs again and I should be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom