two serious problems w/ DVD-ROM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabriknos

Solid State Member
I have a Samsung SM-352 CDRW/DVD combo drive in my system and it plays discs just fine, but it has two serious flaws. First of all, Nero, Roxio and other standard CD burning programs do not recognize this drive at all. Every time I try to burn a CD in Nero, it makes me write an image file to my hard drive first, and then when I select the command "Write Image to Disk," it simply starts writing the same image file to the hard drive again. I have tried three popular burning programs and have gotten similar results. In Windows XP's built-in CD burning software, I'm able to get by just fine for some reason. I can drag & drop files, make audio or data CDs, and it's pretty quick (but not that quick, it's definitely not writing at 52x). Any ideas what might be going on? The drive is recognized properly during BIOS and is on its own IDE cable, on a UDMA 33 cable actually going into the secondary IDE port on the board.

Second problem is even more frustrating cause there is no work around like the above problem. Whenever I play foreign DVDs, or even domestic DVDs that have foreign language tracks, I can't see any subtitles! This drives me nuts as I am becoming a big fan of various animes. Some of these DVDs dont even have English dubs, so I'm forced to watch them at a friend's house. Again, it doesn't matter what program I use whether it's Power DVD or Windows XP DVD Player - no subtitles with any program, though native audio & video come through just fine.

I'm sure there's something I can try to get this to work, but I'm pretty clueless in this area. This is a nearly brand new drive that I got in January and I know it's capable of playing nearly any disc out there and it's scored well in every benchmark test. It's possible that there is some parameter I can change myself, but I have no idea where to look. Any help would be MOST appreciated.

haha ok so i already figured out the subtitle problem... I guess my Radeon doesn't support hardware acceleration, so I turned that off in Power DVD and subtitles appear fine :)

still, the first issue continues to irk me.

in nero try going up to choose recorder, one of the options is create an image, and does what you describe, if that doesn't work, try updating your drivers, and check out the drives page, im pretty sure a samsung drive should be recognized by all the major burning programs.

when i go to choose recorder the only thing that comes up is "Image Recorder" and under Adapter it says "Virtual Device."

yeah that explains why nero is just burning images to the hdd, if you go into device manager, does your drive show up there?

yep it certainly does. it's not listed as a generic dvd-rom but with the actual product number. nero and two other software programs still cannot recognize it. windows media player can use it to write though. i just dont understand :mad:

try checking for updates, that was my problem with easy cd, i wouldnt find mine i downloaded the patch, works great, though then again i just have a cd burner not a combo drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom