Two powerful storms out of season

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
Referring to Hurricane Sandy and the nor'easter we just had (US). I just saw an interesting
piece of speculation flash from CBS news. The thinking now is we're headed for a rough winter this season.

It takes more than that to convince me. What do you think?

Hurricane Sandy wasn't out of season, or really even that unusual. Traditionally, hurricane season is considered to last until 30 November. Here's a chart from the NOAA website showing hurricane activity.

Atlyearly.jpg

Late October is definitely on the outer edge of that curve, but it's within the norm. Sandy wasn't even a particularly strong storm, only reaching category 2 at its peak. It was just a huge deal because it hit a vulnerable area that really wasn't prepared for such a storm.

As far as the "nor'easter" (what a stupid term, they should come up with something better) that was really only notable because it came right after Hurricane Sandy. I'm actually having trouble finding any proper data on it because the only thing being talked about is the power outages, mainly leftover from Sandy.

So yeah, I'm just going to go with horrible coincidence here. I'm not an expert on weather though, so I could be completely wrong. I just haven't seen any good reasoning beyond "well it's been bad so far..."

Nor'easter is a term we use up here ALL the time. It's a normal term depending where you are from.
"Oh yah, eh, got a big nor'eastern coming in, eh. I hope it don't make me miss da turdy point buck tonight."

Yooper accent. It comes from the Fins.

It's too ambiguous. If I heard that I'd think they were talking about a person from the northeast. Not to mention the fact that it just sounds ridiculous.

Well today where I live in Australia in Tasmania we were on a tornadoes alert but thankfully only a mini one happened and also for storms...

Hurricane Sandy wasn't out of season, or really even that unusual. Traditionally, hurricane season is considered to last until 30 November. Here's a chart from the NOAA website showing hurricane activity.

Atlyearly.jpg

Late October is definitely on the outer edge of that curve, but it's within the norm. Sandy wasn't even a particularly strong storm, only reaching category 2 at its peak. It was just a huge deal because it hit a vulnerable area that really wasn't prepared for such a storm.

As far as the "nor'easter" (what a stupid term, they should come up with something better) that was really only notable because it came right after Hurricane Sandy. I'm actually having trouble finding any proper data on it because the only thing being talked about is the power outages, mainly leftover from Sandy.

So yeah, I'm just going to go with horrible coincidence here. I'm not an expert on weather though, so I could be completely wrong. I just haven't seen any good reasoning beyond "well it's been bad so far..."

"Sandy wasn't even a particularly strong storm..." there are many here that would debate that.

I also wanted to say it's my understanding that the term "nor'easter" goes back to Benjamin Franklin.

It's too ambiguous. If I heard that I'd think they were talking about a person from the northeast. Not to mention the fact that it just sounds ridiculous.
A lot of storms up here come from the north east. And Nor'easter is exactly how they said it, so it stuck. If you say it up here, everyone will know exactly what you are saying.

Back
Top Bottom