two OS, one computer

dtsaudio

Beta member
I have a brand new Windows 10 computer just set up. However I have some old technical software that I need to run. I have been previously using it on an XP computer.

Is it possible to take the hard drive out of the old computer and set it up to run as a virtual machine using the existing XP and the installed programs?

Thanks

AMD_man

Fully Optimized
I think the best way to do it is to just set up VirtualBox or any other VM software and simply install XP in it.

There isn't a lot of material online related to your question, so unless you can find anything on the documentation of your VM software, just do as I said before.

The only problem I see with my proposal would be that you don't have a way to install XP.

Is the software you are trying to run incompatible with W10? Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

dtsaudio

Beta member
These are 16 bit programs. They are compatible with my 64 bit W10.

I may do just as you say. I have an unopened XP install disc set, so as long as the reg key works, I'm okay.

dtsaudio

Beta member
Then the best way is to install it again. You could also dual-boot, as long as you don't need to run both OSs simultaneously. If you don't, running a VM is a waste of resources.

You sir are a genius. Nobody has ever mentioned this before.
I will never have to use both OS at the same time, and only need the XP programs a few times a week.
Now I just need to find out how to do it (simply).

AMD_man

Fully Optimized