two installs of windows xp?

eggyhustles

In Runtime
Im new to building and made a few errors and had a few wires in the wrong places..i had my ide storage drive set as slave..i set it as master and now when i boot up..i get the option to choose 2 versions of xp..the first one boots fine..but the 2nd one says i have to replace a file..what is confusing me is i only have one operating system installed..and there is no windows install on my storage drive..i read up a lil on it and was told to delete something from the boot.ini file..BUT..i wanna be 100% sure im doing it right as i really dont wanna reformat again..heres whats in my boot ini..what do i delete?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The best way to go about doing this,would be to download THIS:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Follow the instructions and then burn it.

Now make a backup of your Boot.ini and keep it somewhere safe.

Now Change your boot.ini to:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Now this should work,if it doesnt,simply boot off the boot disk,replace your boot.ini with your backed up one,and come back here for more help :D

Back
Top Bottom