Baseband Member
hello to all
smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.8xZGdnoS_z3a203jIflR.gif
im new in this site

i want to ask please i have a Couple of questions

i have a computer with motherboard ASUS P5LD2 SE

and i also have 2 graphics cards

one is NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500 256MB

and the other one is ( As it is written label on it) AF630 -2048D3L2(DDR3) GT630 2048MB 128Bit 1333Mhz PCI-E

i know that my motherboard is maybe old one .. i have it from the year 2006
but this motherboard have a pci express slot and also this two graphics cards have pci express connection

so my first qustion is

1) which one from this two graphics cards is better ...? ( faster , good performance ? ? From your perspective .. and Your experience ?

my second qustion is

2 ) how do i know which graphics card from this two will support on my motherboard ?
Because what i see on the asus site specifications of my motherboard is Expansion Slots that i have this :

1 xPCI-E x16
2 xPCI-E x1
3 xPCI

i dont know what is mean when pci is X1 OR X16 ?
so if someone can help me with this and tell me about this numbers and also if my graphics card will supprot on my motherboard

I want to say I appreciate your help and want to Thanks in advance everyone
xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqNOe77ohe1vM.png

http://www.asus.com/...specifications/ (this is the site page of my motherboard model)

The quadro is a workstation graphics card. It will not run games. So the only one to go with is the GT630. I would just get a new computer if I were you. That's a woefully outdated system. But if you must stick with it the GT630 will go in the pci-e x16 slot.

To answer the second part of the second question.
the X something is the among of lanes there are in the PCI-E port.
Think of it as how wide the port is.

Here is a picture that should explain the main difference.
pcie.jpg

you will see some X8 ports that looks like X16. That is because it will support X16 cards, but can only use half the total bandwidth. The reason it only have half the bandwidth is because that half of the port is empty. It only has 8 lanes. The next 8 are empty.

Luckily most GPU's don't suffer in performance with half the bandwidth (the high performance once does). They keep on updating the PCI-E standard. We are at PCI-E 3.0 now. So we can put more data through less and less lanes. So an older GTX 680 might be suffering a little bit in performance on a PCI-E X8 2.0 port but are gonna perform at it's fullest on a X8 3.0 port (or a X16 2.0 port). Interesting ehh?

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Ohh, and PCI (or PCI 64) is a pretty much dead standard. PCI and PCI-E are not alike. They are just as different as firewire and USB

Last edited:
thanks very much guys for your detail information

I really don't know what is workstation graphics mean ...

and when I try to plug the gt-630 card to my motherboard I see black screen when I start my pc

and after few Attempts my pc start to the windows and after 30 min was stuck

anybody have an idea how to fix it ?

To put is simple, The quadro are optimized for special 2D or 3D work. Like if you want to design a new engine for a car. You need to design a virtual model first. And those big security monitor setups you see in movies. Stuff like that are usually also run by a workstation card. There are more to it ofcause.

The 630 isn't actually considered a gaming card. But you need a GPU to have a picture on the monitor. That's where these consumer GPU comes in. They give you the basics.
  • A control panel that beats the intel graphic settings menu (if you have an intel GPU that is)
  • Enables basic GPU acceleration for some programs. If you are an amateur Photo/video editor, it can be a welcome feature to have.
  • Gives you additional video-out ports.
  • Gives you access to light gaming such as counter strike. (inbuilt GPU's does that as well, but these cards does it a little better)
So you see. It does what the average person needs it to do.

Now for your problem.
how have you stored that card when not using it?

Last edited:
Like said before the Quadro is series is more for and suited to the workplace. The GT630 is a fairly old card now that could run entry level games like Minecraft.

The 630 isn't actually considered a gaming card. But you need a GPU to have a picture on the monitor. That's where these consumer GPU comes in. They give you the basics.
  • A control panel that beats the intel graphic settings menu (if you have an intel GPU that is)
  • Enables basic GPU acceleration for some programs. If you are an amateur Photo/video editor, it can be a welcome feature to have.
  • Gives you additional video-out ports.
  • Gives you access to light gaming such as counter strike. (inbuilt GPU's does that as well, but these cards does it a little better)

Ohh and another benefit you get from adding a dedicated GPU over only the inbuilt one is you free up some RAM. An inbuilt GPU have to dedicate some RAM for itself. Graphic cards have it's own VRAM. So you also gain more usable RAM for the processor.

Hope all this makes sense to you.
As i asked before. How have you stored that card when not using it?

Last edited:
thanks very much guys for your detail information

I really don't know what is workstation graphics mean ...

and when I try to plug the gt-630 card to my motherboard I see black screen when I start my pc

and after few Attempts my pc start to the windows and after 30 min was stuck

anybody have an idea how to fix it ?

Make sure the monitor cable is plugged into the graphics card, not the motherboard.

Make sure the graphics card is seated in the slot properly, and also make sure it's not just alongside the slot (yes I've seen it done before).

And as the above person asked, how was the graphics card stored?

Back
Top Bottom