TV I bought

Wow, prices went down a lot. We paid $1500 for a 50" plasma, now for $2500 you can get a 50" 1080P plasma. Although that's a Panasonic...I wouldn't buy one of those.

In a couple years though, we'll upgrade to a 1080P TV. No sense in shelling out now when barely anything uses it. As for the old TV...a couple years = college...50" plasma in a dorm room anyone?

It's always better to have a 1080i. That's how I think. Your TV there will be good, and I'm preety sure you won't notice a drastic difference. I personally don't know.

So freestyler105, how is 720p on a screen of that size?
Have you tried running consoles on it at native res? Whats it like?

I seriously do hope I'm happy with it when I get it, but the more I'm waiting, the more I'm wondering, and its horrible...

720p games though, because some aren't 1080p native look pretty stretched on a 1080p screen. At least at 720p, you know the game will look okay.

Most games on the 360 at least seem to only support 1080i anyway...

This is a review of the TV I'm getting, and it is pretty positive:

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/panasonic_th37px70.htm

It seems to have a true 10,000:1 contrast ratio, unlike my mates 1080p TV which seems to only have 1200:1, but its also Dynamic, so as your watching things, I can notice the screen darkening and lightening to match the screen, and its impossible to switch off.

So I guess resolution isn't everything, especially when running at a native res which these sets would be doing.

If it looks good running Blu-Ray and playing games, i'll be happy with it.

Keep in mind Panasonic is a very reputable brand used in the industry. I highly recommend their products.

Yeah, they definietly looked better than the rest that I looked at at the time, including Samsung (probably second), Sharp, LG, etc.

After buying a 720p TV though, I just thought about my monitor I'm running the PC off, and thought "I'd never run games at 1024x720..."

Maybe it's different for TV's... At least, since its only like 2x better than SD res, it won't as I've read affect standard definition movies, etc too much, if at all.

Keep yours because some 780p displays are better than some 1080i or p displays.

Also just so all you guys know what the p and i mean the i means it is interlaced and the p is progressive. If you get an expensive 780p TV then it could very well have a better picture than a cheap 1080p TV.
So keep your TV and check out the picture. :)

Will do :)

As for 780p...its 720p :p

I have read though that when more broadcasting channels offer HD here, they'll offer both 720p and 1080i, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Least when playing consoles, etc, it'll be better than my standard 26 1/2 inch 4:3 CRT box thing.

Noticed the one I bought though is a 1024x720 screen:

"Therefore it is common to see some widescreen HD screens with an unusual resolution such as 1024x720, which is nearer a full-screen (4:3) resolution. So what is going on? This is used on screens (usually plasma) which use rectangular pixels, instead of square pixels. So if you see a plasma screen with a resolution of 1024x720 (or 1024x1024), then you'll know this is normal and is still HD Ready."

What will the difference between square and rectangular pixels make, if any?

lol, you rich people. :p I never watch TV much, so I have no reason to shell out that much on a plasma. Even if I did watch TV I would stick with my Sanyo 20" CRT flat panel TV, don't got that much money.

Back
Top Bottom