TV I bought

What will the difference between square and rectangular pixels make, if any?
worse quality, because some pixels have to stretch. and your not getting the full aspect ratio. you shouldve gotten at least a real 720p tv, which is 1280x720

just exchange it

CRT flat panel :confused:

lol, you rich people. :p I never watch TV much, so I have no reason to shell out that much on a plasma. Even if I did watch TV I would stick with my Sanyo 20" CRT flat panel TV, don't got that much money.

The right term would be flat screen. The screen of the CRT is flat, rather then curved like conventional TV. Take a look at the monitors in this picture:

083.jpg

If you haven't noticed already, those are Panasonic monitors. Like I said, very popular in the industry due to their reliability and flexibility.

The right term would be flat screen. The screen of the CRT is flat, rather then curved like conventional TV.

...like I said, flat screen...:D lol, yeah, I knew it was flat screen, but for some reason I said flat panel...:rolleyes: All the people that don't know what they are talking about confused me...all those people that have flat screen LCDs...

Hmm... I may cancel then... Hope its not too late, as I signed papers etc, but no moneys been took out yet, and won't be for another month.

I'd be worried about getting a 1080p TV though, with most games not supporting this, so when running in 720p, games will look very stretched depending on the technology used.
Plus, TV broadcasts which we still watch on digital, will look again worse than a 720p panel.
I guess thats the plus point of getting a CRT since it can match, and doesn't have that damn annoying native res.

"With Standard Definition (SD) sources such as Freeview, the LE37M87BDX inevitably suffers from trying to fit a 576 signal onto a 1080 screen. This is a problem all flat screens face however, and the screen size of the LE37M87BDX makes it a far better proposition for SD viewing than even its slightly older brother the LE40M87."

Still a good TV by the looks of it mind. Its just, we watch A LOT of standard broadcasts and won't switch to HD for ages. The main reason I wanted a HD panel now, was for gaming/PC use when I take them downstairs. But my parents would not be happy being forced to watch a stretched picture which is why its best for me to get a screen thats good at stretching older images.

It hasn't stopped my display though from getting 93% in the product test, so what gives? I don't understand HD obviously when it comes to TV's. With monitors, its pretty much simple.
If the quality of SD got diminished too much, I don't really see the point in even getting a HDTV yet, when I can still run consoles through my 20 inch monitor.

dude, some games that i cant play at 1920x1080, i just play at 720 on my 46 inch lcd, and its fine. the tv's are made to be compatible with 720p signal, even though the display is 1080p

and yes, most games do supposrt 1080p

Hmm... maybe my mates panel isn't that good after all when it comes to dropping signals then and down converting, because his 1080p TV looks terrible at SD res at 37 inch's, and looks bad when down converting at 1080p to 720p games, for example on the PS3, the Advanced War Fighter 2 demo, which is definetly running in 720p, with stairs everywhere.
His is a Sharp model.

1 thing I don't want is a dynamic contrast. I'd rather have a full contrast, or not at all, as I switched this off on my LCD monitor too, especially for gaming.

The war to close off this agreement starts...

EDIT:

I went to the store and took my Xbox 360 with me running off VGA. It looked really bad.
They then got a Component cable and this worked flawlessly at 720p (on another console. Look below), and 1080i down converted, which actually looked better...

Anyhow, while testing cables, my Xbox 360 flashed 3 red lights and wouldn't turn on at all. We tried switching cables back and still the same thing.
They then got one of theirs out and it worked, so something was supposedly up with mine.

Anyhow, to help with the issue of the VGA not working right, they threw in a free component cable costing 15 quid :)

I'm happy with the TV now after testing it with a couple of games anyhow and know that I couldn't of got a better TV without spending around 500 quid more.

Went into Game after this, and they tested my console, and it works... but I got a free connection out of it anyway, and the satisfaction my TV is good after all.

EDIT 2:

When I want a 1080p TV, maybe once I've cleared this and its maybe in the next room, there is a 42 inch version thats 1080p thats probably too big for the room, but its the next one up, costing around £500 more, and maybe when this drops, yeah:

http://www.johnlewis.com/Technology/Televisions/Televisions/Plasma+TV/1377/230443383/Product.aspx

Back
Top Bottom