tutorials/guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
I was thinking about making some tuts/guide for youtube, about tech related things. Starting up my own little tech channel. I just can't think of where to start. I mean, got any ideas of what kinda of guides i should do? I can do hardware ones, and os/software ones...just gotta figure out how i would go about recording that. Put some input in please.

How about starting out with the basics? Stuff like how to properly apply thermal paste (lots of vids, but few good ones)... how to properly mount a heatsink... how to do wire management... how to set up SMP for Folding... how to overclock.

From there, ask for suggestions and/or look around at things people are having a hard time with when building/upgrading. Maybe a small mod like turning a hard drive cage or flipping a PSU (and making the bottom blowhole for it)... stuff like that.

Erm how about one on good repair bench methods, I can help with the writing for that one.
Trotters one about thermal baste is a good one too.
I have the idea for makeing one that shows of differing power connectors, IDE an SATA drives, AGP an PCI-E, etc I have lost count the number of times people don't know which is which.
Differences in types of OS such as This is the Debian OS that is based on the Linux kernel, This is ubuntu based on debian, this is Redhat this is redora based on redhat etc, this is windows etc.
A guide to command line, a guide to terminal.
How to SSH, Remote Desktop, File sharing, Printer sharing, how to do it across platform.
What is virtuliseation, what technologies exist to do it etc.

I think the wire management idea is good and along the same line you could do a build-it-yourself PC assembly guide. Or maybe a upgrade guide for individual components.

Hmm, those are some good idea's guys. I think the wire management one is a really good one, and the individual component instillation, as those ones are really easy to do. Then maybe move up from there to the harder ones.I am not really sure what you mean by good repair bench methods though trotter. Keep the idea's coming, the more the marrier.

Anyone got any ideas for recording the desktop? i have seen it done, just don't know how.

EDIT: i tried setting one up just as a practice run, and i got nothing to hold the thing in place, and it has no adapters for tripods obviously. So i dont know how im going to get it to stay in place. It has to be looking down as well...gonna have to figure that out.

After creating a sizable, reputable channel, I'd prolly look for the newest technologies or latest trends. This will attract people to your channel with less competition. I'd also think about differeent ways to market this channel to various groups.

After creating a sizable, reputable channel, I'd prolly look for the newest technologies or latest trends. This will attract people to your channel with less competition. I'd also think about different ways to market this channel to various groups.

Actually, what i was thinking, if i can build up enough rep i could start getting products sent to me for review, testing, and benchmarking., unlikely that this would happened, but its just a thought.

I threw a little one together just a few mins ago, but its crap, gotta re do it. My hands were cold so i was shaking, and i had to talk quietly...

lawls we should have a tech forum channel that everyone submits vids to (reviews/guides/tuts/etc)

(not to steal your thunder or anything luke)

I would have to agree with trotter. There are already tons of videos..but not good ones..and that's how you put yourself in the front of the line. Make sure your videos are better than the best out.

I would do the basics though like installing each part, do a complete build, maybe some wire management tips if you have the time/willpower, thermal paste application, maybe some advance stuff like taking the stock cooler of video cards and putting aftermarket ones on (assuming you have done this yourself)...just general stuff like that

I would do the basics though like installing each part, do a complete build, maybe some wire management tips if you have the time/willpower, thermal paste application, maybe some advance stuff like taking the stock cooler of video cards and putting aftermarket ones on (assuming you have done this yourself)...just general stuff like that
thats what im aiming for to start out. Problem is, i don't have a whole lot of hardware laying around. I usually sell the stuff im not using. Good thing is i have my old comp that is relatively new that i can use for vids.

the problem not only lies on getting a good rep, but the fact that it is only our opinion that these videos already out there are "not good". Who is to say that someone doesnt think that the ones out there already are not good enough for them to use? Who is to say that what you make will be better for them than the ones out there?

So really what is going to make your videos "better" than the others ones out there? Who is to make this statement that yours are "better" than those ones out there?

That is the real problem. We can sit here and say what we want, but how many views have those videos already gotten? How many of the comments say it was helpful? how many people who thought it was helpful didnt leave a comment? These are all things that need to be thought of.

Everyone has already said it, there are already tons of videos out there. So you have to find the thing that will make your videos stand out amongst this crowd. The one that is going to make people want to recommend it to others. The one that will be used by many. What is that thing going to be?

You need to figure that out as much as you need to figure out what your going to do. I dont mean to sound like the bad guy here, but lets face it. We know you. We dont know them. We are going to be a bit biased when it comes to our opinion of what we think. You need a unbiased opinion. You need someone who isnt going to be afraid to tell you everything and anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom