Turntable purchase

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
Ok Audiophiles- I have like 100 old Albums that I have no listened to in decades. I have been waiting for the opportunity for techology to be able to buy a turntable that has a built in Amp and a USB port to plug into my PC and digitize the old album. Yes, I am aware that these types of units have been around for a while now for much more money - or you could have spend a lot of money getting a pre-amp and connecting everything properly. This is about $250 for the whole thing in one ( other than software) = https://www.newegg.com/p/0TN-000N-0..._-TurntablesCartridges-_-9SIAMAZAYA3842-S3A4A

So opinions of how well this unit would work, will the digitized music sound good on my phone or a thumb drive or NOT.

Also which software would you use ?

Thanks

Ted

The music will sound as good as the condition of the albums will allow. In other words you will hear the pops, ticks and scratchy noises that vinyl is known for. The better shape your vinyl is, the better your recordings will be.

If it's music you can't get anywhere else then you will need to live with the noises or go without.

Ripping vinyl is different than ripping a CD since you will need to manually enter all the track info (Song name, title, length, etc...) that is provided automatically when you rip a CD.

Last edited:
Album's are in great shape - Last used 2-3 decades ago. Miss my old stuff and in my opinion vinyl sounds better on instrumental areas than the digital remakes - so it will be interesting if I loose the "character" of the instruments when I digitize it just like they did when they first started making CD's of old vinyl albums of the 1970's = Eagles, Deep purple, Beetles, etc.

Audacity is a nice software to record your vinyl to disk, and it is free too.
For a detailed tutorial, see Copying tapes, LPs or MiniDiscs to CD. This covers all the steps from recording your records, cassettes or MiniDiscs to exporting as an audio file and burning to an audio CD.

Vinyl or shellac records can also be recorded into Audacity with a special type of turntable that connects to the USB port of your computer. These turntables need to be set up differently from those that connect to line-in. See Recording with USB turntables or USB cassette decks for setup instructions, then Basic Recording, Editing and Exporting in the main tutorial.

Connection hints:

Do not connect a turntable directly to your computer. The signal from a turntable must be passed through a phono pre-amplifier or a receiver with a “phono” input that provides phono amplification. Otherwise, it will be too quiet and will also sound "tinny" due to incorrect equalization.
https://www.audacityteam.org/about/features/
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_how_to_s.html#vinyltapes

if my memory serves me right, I think Audacity can fix the pop and scratch sounds from playing vinyl also...but it has been awhile so I'm not sure anymore....
But this software is made for what you want to do.

Last edited:
if my memory serves me right, I think Audacity can fix the pop and scratch sounds from playing vinyl also...but it has been awhile so I'm not sure anymore....
But this software is made for what you want to do.
Nothing can fix the pop and scratch sounds but they can be filtered out. Unfortunately, the filtering may also remove some of the music tones as well.

In the connection hints it says: "do not connect turntable directly to computer". But this turntable is designed for that exact thing. So ??

But your first post states that this turntable also has a built in amp?
If that is the case then you should be good. Try to connect the usb to the pc and see how the audio sounds?

I have not yet purchased the turntable- as I am trying to get info to see if I should or not.

I suppose that getting a turntable without an amp and then buying a separate amp will give you more options for using that amp than having an amp built into a turntable

In my opinion DO NOT DIGITISE ANYTHING!!!!

Analogue sounds much nicer...............

I hope you enjoy your player :)

Back
Top Bottom