Turning Off Problem

Insanical

Beta member
I had this problem with my computer awhile ago. The computer would turn on normally and then after awhile it would turn off by itself and to turn it back on again i would have to take the plug out and put it back in again. Eventually it had turned off and it was impossible for it to turn on again so i took it to a shop and they fixed it. But they never told me what was wrong with it. It was fine for awhile and it has started to happen again.

My first thought was the memory. Considering i had about 60 processes running at bootup and i only had 512mb. So i bought a gb of memory. Put it in, recognized the memory. And then it turned off again. So i tested a lot of things.

My second thought would be the graphics card since it has its own connector to the PSU so i was thinking maybe it might need to much and my PSU cant provide enough. SO i took out the graphics card and used the onboard graphics, but still it wouldnt work.

I then tried to go into the BIOS to see if the computer would turn off during the BIOS. If it did, then i knew it was either a motherboard problem or a processor problem. But it didn't. It turns out it will only turn off when it goess into windows.

So then i thought, maybe its a software problem. So i formatted the disk...and then while re-installing windows. It turns off again.

It can't be a memory problem, a graphics card problem, a motherboard, a processor or a software problem. My last choice, must be the PSU. But i was talking to my dad and he thinks, it could still be a motherboard or a processor problem. SO i came on here just to ask you all your thoughts. Is it definately a PSU problem. I just don't want to waste money on buying something that i dont need. Especially my processor considering it is a very good one.
Thanks for any help.

Sounds like a PSU problem. What are your specs? And what's the wattage and amperage (both of are equal importance) on the PSU? Depending on that, it could be the PSU, it may not be. However, it could be that the processor is overheating. Download SpeedFan (a quick search on Google should turn it up) and give us a screenshot of your page to see if anything is out of whack.

This is tough to figure out. What I would do is this. Take out the oldest RAM you got in there. Put the new one in, even though it's only 512MB. Take out the sound card and use the motherboard sound ports on the back. Do not install any 3rd party software including games, etc. after reformat. Just Windows and antivirus software.

If you have spare parts, I would use a spare PSU to see if it was the power supply. What's the wattage rating on it?

I think it's the power supply. Maybe try to get your hands on another one to try.

Could Well Be Overheating.
Does It Stay On Longer If You Are Starting It After It Has Stood For A Few Hours?
And Does It Keep Shutting Down If You Start It Streight Back Up After Initial Shutdown?
Woz

wozelbeak said:
Could Well Be Overheating.
Does It Stay On Longer If You Are Starting It After It Has Stood For A Few Hours?
And Does It Keep Shutting Down If You Start It Streight Back Up After Initial Shutdown?
Woz

I forgot to mention something about that. After the initial shutdown. If i take out the plug and put it back in straight away it is a shorter time for the computer to be on and then turn off...Whereas if i leave the plug out the socket for awhile, once i put it back in the computer will stay on for longer before it turns off again.

And my wattage is 400W but i was reading a few things that said even though it is 400W it could still be inferior to a good 250W PSU...considering i think my PSU is a cheap rubbish one, i was also told mines is a cheap one because it does not have a switch at the back which is very odd to not have one.

Ok some more news...i had told my dad that you said it could be an overheating problem. He suggested to me to turn it on..look at the BIOS, get its temperature. Then get to the point where the computer turns off when installing windows. The immediatley turn the computer back on and look at the temperature then. But a new problem occured. It wont even turn on anymore. I took out the plug left it for about half an hour (which should be enough) and it wont even turn on now.

That sounds very much like the PSU then after that. What is the Wattage of your PSU now? It shouldn't be too hard to get a new Power Supply, its probably the cheapest thing that could go!

By the way, does the processor activate when accessing the BIOS, or does it only turn on or is used when it goes into windows. Because if it doesn't when i'm in the BIOS that means it's a definate PSU problem...

Back
Top Bottom