Turning a laptop into a server

Maineman

Solid State Member
I have been hearing about people turning old computers into servers.

How to you make a computer a server?

What is the benefit of a server for a home network?

To save space some people use old laptops as a server.

Any thoughts?

For my home network I took a basic desktop PC and added 2 large drives on RAID1. Then I shared the drive over my network for file sharing/backup purposes between my computers. I also hooked up my printer to it, that way I can print from any computer, and since my server is always on I don't have to bother to turn another computer on to print. That's the basic thing you would use a home server for. Many people do more advanced things though.

Never heard of laptops as a server and it wouldn't be a good idea. For one, you are limited to 1 drive. And generally servers stay up 24/7 for ease of access. I wouldn't want to leave a laptop on 24/7. An old P3 desktop running Windows 2000 Pro is quite enough to run a file server for your home.

Most people do use them as file/print servers. However more and more people are setting them up as media servers as well. They will share and stream movies/music from the server to other PC's in the house. They might use them to record TV as well (like a DVR).

Back
Top Bottom