Turion 64 vs. Pentium E

Status
Not open for further replies.

strategist333

In Runtime
Turion 64 vs. Pentium M

AMD Turion 64 was recently released, and I was curious as to which one was a better CPU (in terms of performance and of battery life). I heard that Athlon 64 uses too much heat, and that Pentium 4 pales in comparison to Pentium E for laptops. But as Turion was recently released, I have yet to find any comparisons of Turion and Pentium E besides from the AMD site http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_12651_12658,00.html, and that might not be the best place to get unbiased information.. So what are your opinions?

Thanks

AMD tends to heat a little higher, but I believe it kicks the crap out of Intel in terms of FSB, L2 Cache, and just overall performance. Notice that a 2.0 Ghz Athlon 64 can beat a p4 upwards of 2.8 Ghz or more.

People have been debating over Intel and AMD since the companies were created. It is all a matter of what you want to do with your computer, cool, and how much stress it will be under.

Currently, the pentium M is winning the battery life war. I remember reading a review where a laptop with a 8 cell battery pack and the turion only got 3 or so hours. Pentium Ms can get 4-5.

lol yeah, sorry, for some reason I must have had a meltdown or something.. thanks for making it clear that I was referring to Pentium M

So to sum this all up,
Turion 64 > Pentium M in performance and
Pentium M > Turion 64 in battery life?

And for overall comparison of laptop CPUs, Turion 64/Pentium M > Athlon 64> P4

What is the advantage that Pentium M has over Turion besides the longer battery life (any features it supports that Turion doesn't)? I'm sorta inclined to buy Turion over Pentium right now (I have to admit, the AMD website does a nice job of persuading me) if all Pentium M is better than Turion at is the battery life.

One of the main factors that I would buy Turion over Pentium E is its support of 64-bit. By the time that the 64-bit industry is well-developed (probably around 2-3 more years I heard), will my laptop (1 GB or 512 MB RAM, Turion 64 (34 or 37), about a 60GB heard drive is what I'm looking at) still be considered decent or will it already be out of date by then?

the pentium M is a monster... at the same clock rates a pentium M outperforms all other processors on the market, they have recently begun selling an adapter to use pentium M in desktop boards, it has beaten AMD64, pentium 4, and all others up to this point while producing alot less heat...

so clock-for-clock the pentium M is amazing... however pricey as hell, and with the adapter that they sell to use it on desktops it is a ***** to use most cooling solutions but the one they provide with it.

as for your question, i would go with pentium M now, because from what i've seen its architecture will max out soon... but for the next 2-3 years it will be viable... then in 3 years when you want a 64-bit ready laptop, you can go shopping again, being as a lowly AMD64 from 3 years ago will look like crap then :D

What about the Turion processors, how do they compare to the Pentium M's? It seems that few people are very familiar with the Turions.

Btw, that statement is false. The pentium M certainly does not outperform all other processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom