Tune up system?

Nik00117

Fully Optimized
Ok my computer is kinda laggy. I use Firefox as a browser. And I was wondering (Besides buying hardware) what ways can I speed up my system. (without OCing). Just need my comp to last a couple mroe weeks then i get a new one :)

Weird, you don't really have that bad a system.

Okay, try running Disk Cleanup from Start, Programs, Accessories, system Tools, Disk Cleanup. and remove anything it finds (though untick compressed files if it finds any, as windows can be set to auto compress files that aren't opened for a while, and so could be important..though because you haven't opened them for a while, it takes them as deletable)

Now run in Safe mode, and press f8 at bootup and go to safe mode, and go to where Disc cleanup was, in System Tools and instead go to Disk Defragmentator and let it run (it might take a while but re-arranges files on the hard drive to speed the accessing times up)

Next question, why did you mention firefox? It is because this is going slow, and thats whats lagging? In this case it would be your internet connection and not the PC.

I hope this helps :)

Yea it does thanks. I'll do disk clean up now. And do defrag later on. I also ran spyware doctor. Found 90 or so spyware objects they're gone now too.

Its most likely NOT spyware since he uses FireFox, I think that is why he pointed that out Kagey Poo! :D Now, as to this problem. Do what Kage said. It will help. Also go to START, RUN, type in MSCONFIG, and go to start programs. Disable ANY of them that you DO NOT use. :D

firefox isn't THAT secure... just because you use it doesn't mean you won't get spyware... I use firefox and I get spyware all the time... I have never used spyware doctor and I don't know how well it works but I know that 90 files is alot lol
www.lavasoftusa.com
they have a good free spyware removal program aswell.

You can also browse to C:/windows/prefetch and delete everything in that folder, it will make it boot faster, not a real fix for the problem just a cool little trick I learned ;)

I suggest microsoft antispyware... its pretty good from what i've seen and experienced... but so is ad aware and spybot too.

ms anispyware is okay, but I don't really reccomend it. I have experienced many cases in which Antispyware failed to pick up on lots of spyware that I removed with other programs, but it is good in that it seems to use a bit less system resources than other programs of that type that run in the background.
I also use webroot spysweeper www.webroot.com

I wouldn't reccoment spybot s and d really either, same situation, doen't pick up on a lot of things..

but in all the programs I've used nothing seems to beat ad aware

Um...

Kagey poo??? I'm not even gonna ask what that's about...
But you guys did leave out a very good system cleaner. Crap cleaner. www.ccleaner.com
Turn on all the features and run it till it sees nothing. You'll be surprised at what and how much junk it finds.

Setishock? I have no idea what thats about either...

Anyway, yeah, thats a good program. Untick it to delete any settings on programs you don't want to get rid of though, as its so good, it will wipe settings from MSN Messenger, and programs like that that you've set, like fonts, etc if you don't look at what your deleting first.

Its a really good program though, and don't let this put you off as I did it by mistake, and just had to change settings for a couple of things, but i'll kno for next time.

I just tried CCleaner, very nice program in my opinion, cleans up lots of stuff that you would never know you had, and all for free.
thanks for that tip :D

Back
Top Bottom