Trying to Upgrade

ima_gnu

Beta member
Hi everybody, I'm brand new here. I've tried a few different tech forums looking for people with willingness to dispense knowledge, as I am pretty short on that commodity. I'm hoping this will turn out to be my last stop in the journey across the boards. :p

My old computer has had many improperly researched upgrades and has become a bit...eccentric. I'm trying to rectify with a near-complete rebuild, but my understanding of tech is far out of date, hence my search.

To keep it short, I'll give a basic rundown of my current system. I will provide links to parts as much as possible.

Starting from the top.

ATX Case w/ front 120mm, rear and side 80mm fans. I dont know the speeds, all 3 are currently connected to a custom fan bus with off, 7v, and 12v settings. Side and front going in, back is venting.

Power Supply

Motherboard

CPU is AMD Athlon II X2 250

GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+

Corsair XMS2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz

SATA 7200rpm Seagate Barracude hdd, I dont know specs on the cache or anything like that.

That is what I have now. Its awful. I dont know any specific benchmarking programs details, but when I play SWTOR, I play on minimum graphic settings, absolute minimum, and my average framerate rarely rises about 35, and often dips below 1. It is unspeakably awful. The more there is for my computer to process, in any data format, the worse off I am. I've had my computer lag so hard I swore it actually crashed. Turns out nope, just another massive data choke.

I know, more or less, where the major issue is, and instead of just treating the small problems, I've decided I would really like to do a rebuild. Following is the parts I chose from newegg, with my best ability. I dont want to buy them and find that I have made a critical error in my selection, and that is part of what leads me here. Hopefully the community here has some thoughts and/or/advice. I am very grateful for anything helpful anyone might be able to add.

New Stuff

New Motherboard

New CPU

New RAM

New Graphics Card

A friend I talked to today told me I should shuffle a little bit out of my ram and into my graphics card. I am undecided on this. The mobo supports SLI, so increasing the video strength later is easily accomplished, and from what I've read, the listed GPU is a substantial upgrade from my old one. The RAM is also excessive, even I dont know why I would need 16GB, but its cheap and I figured why not. My computer is often multitasked, and for an extra 35$, I feel I should never have many issues.

Please, leave any thoughts. I can certainly use them all.

Thanks in advance

Gnu

I'd like to balance cost and gaming potential. I'm really trying to keep it under $600. The parts I listed totalled $532.62 after taxes and shipping.

For that price, you can do much better.

Look into AM3+ boards and something like the FX-4300. For moderate gaming, it will serve you well.

Back
Top Bottom