Trying to understand Triple Channel RAM

dmarciano

Baseband Member
I'm looking to build a new computer and I'm going to be using the ASUS Rampage III Extreme motherboard. According to the specs. it the memory it supports is:

6 x DIMM, Max. 24 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

However it states in the manual:

"Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

So instead of buying six 4GB 1600 RAM chips, to save money could I buy three 4GB 1600 and three 4GB 1333? I'm hoping I could do this possibly save some money, but only if it will still run at max. If by putting three 1600s and three 1333s will make all the chips run at 1333 then it is kind of a waste and I might as well put six 1600s in, but six 4GB 1600 run $350-$475. Any guidance would be appreciated as I'm planning on putting this computer together by the end of the month.

Usually, the general rule is, that whatever memory you put in, it will run as fast as your SLOWEST memory.

E.G. In your case if you put 2 x 2000MHZ DDR3's in and also 2 x 1333MHZ memory. All 4 will run at 1333MHZ.

As long as both sticks work at the lower speed and are compatible with your board, you shouldnt have too many problems mixing RAM.

By the way - I would probably consider against 24GB of RAM.. Unless you are building a freak of a machine, you probably wont use more than 8GB or 12GB maybe (this is still a lot!)

I would probably opt for less RAM - and pick a better quality brand. Your choice obviously.

What are you using the machine for?

What board would you recommend? I building a 64-but system with a hexa-core, 3-way SLI, and a RAID. This board has all that and I've used ASUS in the past and never had problems, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm using the system for gaming, programming (3-d, DBA, and other stuff), and possibly running a server.

I wasn't critiscing the board (hope I didnt come across like that).

Just becasue the board can have 24GB of RAM max, doesnt mean you have to use all 24GB.. Thats pretty overkill.

Fairly heavy gaming? Like Crysis etc on high / max settings? Or just general internet games (W.O.W etc)

The programming side of it isnt that CPU intensive, unless your DBA stuff is on Oracle or something :S

Intel Or AMD build? (im asuming your going for intel with an i7 or something)
Budget?

Or if you have your build already thats fine. Id probably go for 12GB of decent RAM though. You would probably be ok with 8GB of decent ram to be honest, but depending on the workload might bottleneck the CPU / MOBO slightly.

Back
Top Bottom