Trying to Secure my Wireless Home Network

OutstandingO

Baseband Member
I have a linksys wireless router. I'm trying to secure my network so that no one gets in. I am very ignorant to this whole networking thing. I know that I need to choose between two types of security settings. How do I go about making my wireless network secure?

Please help me. :(

Thanks in advance.

Use MAC address filtering- simple to setup, not too easy for someone to hack. It can be done- if someone really wants into your computer. Chances are slim they would want to. You can also enable WEP or WAP encryption. This is more secure.

If I use the WEP, what will I need to do to set it up correctly. I tried to create my on password one time prior and for some reason it didn't take and I had to reset the router.

OutstandingO said:
If I use the WEP, what will I need to do to set it up correctly. I tried to create my on password one time prior and for some reason it didn't take and I had to reset the router.

Input 8 numbers into the place for the network key in the router. Then input the same network key into your key field on your wireless card. The username is the SSID, whatever the wireless card is detecting your network as. Hope that makes sense, if you don't get it, I'll try to explain again.

Back
Top Bottom