Trying to install Windows XP Pro as dual boot

BadDisciple

Baseband Member
Hello,

After having installed Window 7 64bit, I try to install Windows XP Pro as dual boot on my new PC
CPU AMD FX 8 Core 4GHz 18MB Cache, with 8GB RAM
I've partitioned the hard drive and want to install the XP in a partition called D.
But...
It stops soon after the beginning and gives the blue screen saying a problem detected and
windows shut down and it suggests to run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption.
Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000007B ( 0xF78D2524, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000 )

Is it because the letter is D and not C ? Bit C is already with Window 7...
Or is it because I already have Windows 7 installed? But then how do I uninstall it from within itself ?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

That BSOD code means Inaccessible Boot Device. This meaning, that your boot device (HD/CD/Thumb Drive/other) is not correctly connected.

Here is some more information on causes and fixes for you.

Hope this helps!
Mouse Pad Computer Shop
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Windows XP is no longer supported as of 4/11/14 and I do not recommend that you use it due to the fact that if you hook it up to the internet, it will crash or blue screen with other errors. Owning a computer shop, I've literally had dozens of computers come through the door in the past month that needed upgrading from Windows XP due to the fact Microsoft crashed the software after they dropped support to it.

Last edited:
here's a guide to dual boot xp with an existing 7 os
Dual Boot Your Pre-Installed Windows 7 Computer with XP

Personally, I rather just pop in a second drive, install xp on that (disconnect the W7 drive first and re-connect it when your done) That way, you can use the boot option from your bios to decide which os to boot into and if something goes wrong with one, it shouldn't affect the other os on it's separate drive with it's own boot file

You generally cannot install Windows XP AFTER you installed a newer OS. Windows Vista, 7 and 8 use a completely different boot file setup then Windows XP/2000. Multibooting Windows XP using Windows 7's bootmanager IS definitely possible, but if you install XP after 7, it will overwrite it with XP's bootmanager, and it will cause the exact problem you describe.

The link Joe posted will describe how to fix it.

Is there any specific reason you still want to run Windows XP? It will only use 3.something GB of your 8 GB as it is 32 bit.... and pretty much all software will work on Windows 7.

Thank you all for your feedback. The link how to install with Win 7 doesn't help me, as when I start installing XP it doesn't even reach that point of choosing which partition or HD to install in. The blue screen come BEFORE that point.

Last edited:
That BSOD code means Inaccessible Boot Device. This meaning, that your boot device (HD/CD/Thumb Drive/other) is not correctly connected.
Here is some more information on causes and fixes for you.
Hope this helps!
Mouse Pad Computer Shop
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: Windows XP is no longer supported as of 4/11/14 ...

Thanks for your feedback. In fact, the link you propose is quite highly technical for me, I'm just a kind-of-practical-experience long date computer user and I mostly use it for music recording and also for graphic works. That's why I need to have XP for some programs (like Cubase SX3 which I use a lot) that don't succeed to install in Win 7 - and I prefer to continue using them until I'll have some more euro bills to upgrade. So... I'll possibly try with another solution (like installing XP on another HD and not on a partition) or will just keep my older XP machine as a standalone and striped to the bone for my older software.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom