Trying to get Wireless router to work, please help.

SilentSteps

Baseband Member
Alright, I have the wired connection all hooked up. It goes from the modem to router to PC, in a wired state. My problem is that the wirless PCI adapter on my other PC is not functioning properly. The CD would not work for the drivers. Any ideas why? I don't know what kind of info I should be providing, so I only provided the basics. I tried installing drivers I downloaded from the internet, in vain. Please help, and thank you in advance. :(

What operating system are you running? What brand/model of card are you using? Why won't the drivers install? Are you getting some error with both? Did windows detect the card in the first place? There's always the chance the card could just be dead...

It's a Windows XP home edition. The wirelss PCI Adapter is Linksys Wireless G PCI Adapter. When I insert the CD when it prompts me to, the computer states it cannot find the files required for the drivers. I do not know why, it's directly from the manufacturer. Windows did detect the card. Does it matter if I accidentally touched some parts of the surface of the card?

Computer parts arn't as fragile as some people make them out to be. Unless you think you shocked it, it should be fine. I have a bunch of cards piled in a shoe box, and as long as you don't go and shake it up(to make them scratch each other up) they should be just fine)

Have you tried finding the drivers on the disk? Like, going though device manager, the card, reinstall driver, then search on the disk? It's usally under like Drivers/2000XP, or something like that. I usally have better luck installing stuff manually than using the setup programs.

When you installed using the downloaded drivers, what happened? Did you just get an ! on device manager, or what? Another error like before?

Yes, I tried to manually find the drivers themselves, but no cigar. In the device manager, all I receive is an exclamation point (!) next to "network controller" which is the PCI adapter. Is it that the adapter is defunct? Or is it the CD-Disc?

try and get more up to date drivers from the net, the exclamation point might mean its conflicting with some other hardware!!!! I've got wireless but i just run it off of a usb gadget!! If all fails take it back and get a usb gadget-much easier but more expensive!

I doubt it's the disk, seeing as downloaded drivers woudlnt work either. Try another PCI slot, as it could be a reasource conflict.

Back
Top Bottom