Trying to get a cheap TV for holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Kaizer

Daemon Poster
So, this year, for Hanukkah, I'm going to try to convince my parents to buy me a new TV. And believe me, I can really use it. I use my TV for hours every day, and I just got a 360. My current TV is a Hitachi 19" from around 1995. It has no remote, no component input (adapter FTL), and of course, poor picture.

Given that money is pretty tight for us (brother in college, taxes in NY very high, and we just got us a new TV for the den), I can't let my parents spend too much on this. So what are my best options in the <$350 range? Cheaper the better. I'd like an LCD tv, but doesn't have to be, and I need it to last. Can be small like 19" to about 24". Thoughts, ideas, links, anything. I saw some good deals on some Open Box stuff on newegg, but I won't buy anything without consulting you guys. :)

Ethan

So with that, I could hook up a cable box (through HDMI), and xbox 360 (Through HD Component cables) up to that monitor, and it will work well as a TV?

Home Depot sells bricks for a buck, buck fifty. You need one of those and a neighbor who has a nice set already...

Check the ads for Circuit City and Best Buy. They do have some good deals going on on the smaller models here lately.

no the xbox would need to be VGA/ D-sub you can get adapters off the egg

Why? 360 has HDMI and so does the screen....
You should be fine... (Unless its an old 360 like mine then yes your right)

Plus yeah that samsung is good but for the same price and not compromising massively on brand you get an extra 2" to 24".

And it may be a better idea to get a tv card for your pc, then that should be great.
Newegg.com - AVerMedia AVerTVHD MCE A180 HDTV Tuner Card / PVR (White Box) 7 95522 95995 9 PCI Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices

Why? 360 has HDMI and so does the screen....
You should be fine... (Unless its an old 360 like mine then yes your right)

Plus yeah that samsung is good but for the same price and not compromising massively on brand you get an extra 2" to 4".

And it may be a better idea to get a tv card for your pc, then that should be great.
Newegg.com - AVerMedia AVerTVHD MCE A180 HDTV Tuner Card / PVR (White Box) 7 95522 95995 9 PCI Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices

I really think 22" is a good size for me. I have a 19" non-widescreen and the size of the screen is perfectly fine, it's just that the quality is bad. I have a newer 360 with an HDMI port, but I don't have the cable, but I have HD component cables, and would rather not spend more for another cable. And I want a TV seperate from my computer.

I want a good brand that I can really trust, because I'm gonna be taking this to college also, and it'll be used a lot there. So, it's gotta be good quality and well made to last a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom