Trying to build a computer...

xxsomethingxx1

Baseband Member
I have a few questions...

Is thermal compound needed? It's not much money but I've never used it before...

Also, can anyone recommend a decent gaming computer build for relatively cheap? < 1200.

I'm scared I will buy a case and the motherboard will be too big...how can I know what motherboard to buy and if it will fit in the case I buy?

Well, since I'm board, I think I will answer fairly thoroughly.

1. Thermal compound usually comes with the stock heatsinks that come with CPUs. Its usually pre-applied to the heatsink. It is needed for a heatsink to make a contact to the heat source(CPU, GPU, etc.) which fills in the really small gaps in the metal heatsinks. The downfall to using generic thermal compound to others like AC5 or Arctic Cooler MX-2 is that you don't get a very good thermally conductive contact. If your not going to be overclocking your CPU then using the generic stuff on the CPU Heatsink would suit you fine. If you are, then a aftermarket cooler and some aftermarket thermal compound would be needed.

As for a case, there all one the same standard, just pick one of these cases(Full or Mid Tower would be recommended, Full is around 2 feet tall and wide while Mid is about 15" or 16" inches tall). When you go to mount the motherboard, there should be little raisers that screw into the case that raise where the motherboard will be screwed into. I put the motherboard in first, remember the holes there are for mounting, and put the raisers in those spots.
Cases:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=7&name=Computer-Cases

As for a decent gaming computer under $1200, how does around 1000 or 900 sound? You honestly don't need $1000 dollars for a good gaming computer now-a-days. Here's the links from Newegg.com which is a good site for computer parts. I will have added the shipping cost, just got to add the taxes. This is also assuming that you have a current monitor that you wish to use.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Motherboard: ASUS P5E Deluxe LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131317

Ram: CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W (Comes with Ram Combo)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102769

Case: Depends what you chose, so I'm guessing around $60 Bucks.

I am assuming you have a DVD drive and Vista, if not add around $250 for the DVD drive and a "RETAIL" version of Vista. If you get a OEM version then you can only install the OS once, no reformatting and such.

All of the above when added together AND a fee of .07% tax is added on and $10 of shipping cost, its around $1,082.15.

Just ask if you have any questions.

I really appreciate your input there. I really do.

Is there another video card out there? I read the reviews and it seems to make the computer crash and things like that. Is there any other type of video card out there that's amazing but not too costly?

Is there any other type of video card out there that's amazing but not too costly?

I'm sorry, but that line killed me!! :D

For 1200 bucks you should be able to build a sweet machine. Part of the fun of building your own computer is picking out that hardware and making it just like you want it.

Need Wow Wow gave you the best response you could ask for, now do some research on your own and make that computer become a reality!!

Also, newegg is great, that is where I get all my parts.

some people say theyre budget is is a certain amount, but most dont want to actually use all the money, but as few as possible.
like me, i have a budget of $450 to buy a board, processor, and PSU, but i dont want to use all $450, i want some extra in case something goes wrong like something died and need a replacement, or just to have some extra money around.

the 8800GT is cheaper, and i think the 9800GT which is pretty much the same as the 8800GT with a few minor adjustment cost about $10 more IIRC.

I'm sorry, but that line killed me!! :D

For 1200 bucks you should be able to build a sweet machine. Part of the fun of building your own computer is picking out that hardware and making it just like you want it.

Need Wow Wow gave you the best response you could ask for, now do some research on your own and make that computer become a reality!!

Also, newegg is great, that is where I get all my parts.

Very true. Ok I'll pick my own.

But I have a few questions again...

Are all PSU the same size? Or do they come in different sizes?

Does some RAM make some computers not work? Do some motherboards require certain RAM to function properly?

Edit: Also, how big of a wattage should mine be if it's for gaming? I don't want to get one that's too low or get one that's too high and not use all of it.

Edit(Again :eek:): For a wireless connection what must I get? What kind of card would someone suggest? So sorry I'm so "nooby" at this. :(

Well, since I'm board, I think I will answer fairly thoroughly.

I am assuming you have a DVD drive and Vista, if not add around $250 for the DVD drive and a "RETAIL" version of Vista. If you get a OEM version then you can only install the OS once, no reformatting and such.

Just ask if you have any questions.

I do believe OEM can be used to reformat. Just on the SAME computer it was put on in first place.

Very true. Ok I'll pick my own.

But I have a few questions again...

Are all PSU the same size? Or do they come in different sizes?

Does some RAM make some computers not work? Do some motherboards require certain RAM to function properly?

Edit: Also, how big of a wattage should mine be if it's for gaming? I don't want to get one that's too low or get one that's too high and not use all of it.

Edit(Again :eek:): For a wireless connection what must I get? What kind of card would someone suggest? So sorry I'm so "nooby" at this. :(

1. Do you mean size as in watts? Or size in dimensions of the PSU? The dimensions are usualy the same, their are some different sized ones. Watts vary. Same are 350w and others are 1000w. I think most people get something around 500w.

2. Some ram wont work on certain mothers boards. If a motherbard supports DDR2 1066. It will usually support anything up to that, such as DDR2 800.

3. You can choose just about any wireless card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839121008

I have used this card before, I think it worked great.

[/B]Lastly[/B] Dont be afriad to ask alot of questions here. Most people here learned the things they know off of this forum. Everyone here is more than willing to share their knowledge.

So a 500 watt PSU would be ok for a gaming computer? Also, what's the difference between 64bit and 32 bit vista?

Edit:Sound cards? I'm not going to be using speakers much just a headset for gaming. Would I need a very expensive sound card?

Back
Top Bottom