Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump!

But America is NOT a democracy and was never meant to be one. The US is a constitutional republic. Democracy is mob rule with the majority being the decision. A republic works through representation. Here's a simple explanation of this using the electoral college:

There are 3,141 counties in the United States.

Trump won 3,084 of them.
Clinton won 57.

There are 62 counties in New York State.

Trump won 46 of them.
Clinton won 16.

Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.

In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond & Queens) Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton only won 4 of these counties; Trump won Richmond)

Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.

These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles.
The United States is comprised of 3, 797,000 square miles.

When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election.

Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc) don't and shouldn't speak for the rest of our country.

The number electoral votes come from the number of members of the House of Representatives, the members of the Senate, and the three non-Congressional voting Representatives from the District of Columbia. These electors (which do not have to be the actual members of Congress, and very seldom are) are pledged according to the voting results in their states. There are 365 members of the House, 100 members of Congress, so 435 + 100 + 3 = 538, 538/2 = 269, so 50% = 1 would be 270 electoral votes.

Sure, I understand all that very well... that doesn't change the fact that something is wrong.

Faithless elector laws
make it impossible to choose the right candidate. Now I'm not saying any past, present or future candidate lacks any or all qualifications, but let's face it, there's more qualified folks out there to look after the general public than many a president. Let's say one such individual put their name in the hat but had no party affiliation; could they win?

Nope.

Hence my comment above, there's something wrong.... or rather, we have much we can do to improve upon our practice of governing ourselves and serving our fellow man.

It shouldn't matter WHERE the individuals are. The majority is the majority, just because they're all clustered in one place should not mean their vote is effectively worth less than somebody who lives in a more sparsely populated area...

Somebody who wins more votes should be be the one who wins in my opinion, both the UK and US are guilty in this regard...

You are certainly free to move to those better countries you are so fond of. We won't really miss you when you go. Good luck and have fun.

I like the term 'criminals' as its more accurate.
Mexico is working on expanding their jail space in preperation for the return home of their exports.

Back
Top Bottom