TrueCrypt's Disappearance

I lol'd.

You realize since XP was around for so long, it's not only had to patch up more holes than you count, but still has holes that are unpatched, and will never be patched since XP is now EOL and no longer receiving security updates from Microsoft?

The point is if someone wants too be inside someone System that badly they will no matter what. You can use the latest updates, like I do, the latest patches and hot fixes, like I do and run true crypt like I do but the whole point of having security in the twenty first century is deter and stop thieves. People will try and try and they will eventually get in too something like an OS if they want too be in that badly.. If it can be made by man it can be broken by man. I would go as far as too say even the most advanced software and hardware will have its vulnerability I could imagine for the major World Wide Corporations.

Technology isn't perfect by far and I can Imagine has a long way too go yet. It just makes it difficult for people even with intermediate level of knowledge too penetrate a system.
Yes Linux is a less targeted platform, freely distributed OS's but with enuf level of knowledge, people can do what they want with an internet connection and a PC.

The point is if someone wants too be inside someone System that badly they will no matter what. You can use the latest updates, like I do, the latest patches and hot fixes, like I do and run true crypt like I do but the whole point of having security in the twenty first century is deter and stop thieves. People will try and try and they will eventually get in too something like an OS if they want too be in that badly.. If it can be made by man it can be broken by man. I would go as far as too say even the most advanced software and hardware will have its vulnerability I could imagine for the major World Wide Corporations.

I know this, but why help them out by using an OS that's got more holes than swiss cheese? You might as well make it more difficult for somebody to breach your system by using an updated OS... There's a reason for security patches.

Technology isn't perfect by far and I can Imagine has a long way too go yet. It just makes it difficult for people even with intermediate level of knowledge too penetrate a system.
Yes Linux is a less targeted platform, freely distributed OS's but with enuf level of knowledge, people can do what they want with an internet connection and a PC.

Well yeah, but since Linux is open source, vulnerabilities are patched faster because there's always somebody checking out the source/submitting bug reports/etc. And users don't even have to wait for an official patch like they would for Windows or OSX; they can modify the source themselves if they wish.

Hence why I have all ways wanted too run a Linux System but due too the fact its Intimidating, and a lot of time has too be learned using the Command prompt or I think its called Bash, I'm not sure that's why I never have..

I look at Linux, and I look, look, & look and I still haven't got a clue, I've tried too learn various commands for running the System, but quite frankly its a hard OS of any Distro IMO too grapple with when you have been used too XP, or just Windows since being of the 98SE Generation onwards.

I have no idea about Linux, and I know its far superior, but I don't know were too start.. I have no idea of the community, no idea of were too find software for it. Windows is easy, user friendly, large scale support and all most every game you can buy will support a XP system onwards.

Tell you what, if you can teach me Linux, I'll put it on my system on a tower I'm think of putting a Windows OS on. Say in 18 Hours flat. Answer my questions, show me what this is, what that is, how how this and all that on the online forums work. If you can show me if Linux is easy, I'll convert for you Carnage as I do want too learn but all been intimidated.

Hence why I have all ways wanted too run a Linux System but due too the fact its Intimidating, and a lot of time has too be learned using the Command prompt or I think its called Bash, I'm not sure that's why I never have..

I look at Linux, and I look, look, & look and I still haven't got a clue, I've tried too learn various commands for running the System, but quite frankly its a hard OS of any Distro IMO too grapple with when you have been used too XP, or just Windows since being of the 98SE Generation onwards.

I have no idea about Linux, and I know its far superior, but I don't know were too start.. I have no idea of the community, no idea of were too find software for it. Windows is easy, user friendly, large scale support and all most every game you can buy will support a XP system onwards.

Tell you what, if you can teach me Linux, I'll put it on my system on a tower I'm think of putting a Windows OS on. Say in 18 Hours flat. Answer my questions, show me what this is, what that is, how how this and all that on the online forums work. If you can show me if Linux is easy, I'll convert for you Carnage as I do want too learn but all been intimidated.

Ubuntu is going to be the most new-user friendly distro to download/use.

Most of the software you can get is in the Software Center or Synaptics Package Manager, which should install dependencies for you.

I'm not that great at Linux either; you'd want to talk to people in the Linux board like Jayce who works in a school district where they implemented ALL Ubuntu-based systems for the students to use.

All it takes is a lot of Googling if you don't know how to do something in LInux, for the most part. That's all I've done when I've used it.

Had a friend hear yesterday who's more clued up on these things than me especially when it comes too Linux, I've not seen him in years. He came and stopped a few hours. He recommended buying an up too date hard back copy of various books too give me a hard reference material to work on. He came and I also bought a HDD for the tower I've got so I've got a system hear I just need to put an OS on. I think I'm going too start with Ubuntu like you suggest too give me a starting point. I'll update you on what happens.

I'll never trust TrueCrypt after I lost all of my files two years ago.

I've learned my lesson since and have been backing everything up onto compact disks.

--Sent from my Blast Processing Doritto chip from Space Station Four.

I'll never trust TrueCrypt after I lost all of my files two years ago.

I've learned my lesson since and have been backing everything up onto compact disks.

--Sent from my Blast Processing Doritto chip from Space Station Four.

How did you loose all of your files? forgot your password? if so thats your fault

And this is exactly why I don't use any of that BS. THe people capable of getting into my machine can bypass any security I may have and no amount of OS patching can help this. So I don't bother mucking around with the BS and I try to keep to my Ps and Qs when online. I'm the same way with AV. Been fine for years too.

And this is exactly why I don't use any of that BS. THe people capable of getting into my machine can bypass any security I may have and no amount of OS patching can help this. So I don't bother mucking around with the BS and I try to keep to my Ps and Qs when online. I'm the same way with AV. Been fine for years too.

Is it not better too have some level of security even if it were too let you know someone is snooping around and looking for vulnerability of your OS. Yeah the people who can get in will if they want too, I agree but I would think its better too have something to deter even the most basic and intermediate of people.

Honestly speaking PP, I have nothing too hide rite but the reason I have security is because I'm a fan.. I have security because I'm an enthusiast and like too read up on the latest developments ect.. If someone broke in too my system they wouldn't find much as I do most of my stuff online and like I say their is nothing incriminating on my System.

Their was this program advertised the other day about following people on their mobile Phones hear in the UK, something like channel 4 and really seeing what people get up too in Private.. I have an old Flip phone that doesn't even have a camera.. I keep nothing on it.. Theirs no NUDE Photographs, incriminating texts, naughty E - Mails nothing. I'm just a fan, and even then that's probably because of my Paranoia.

Any ways I downloaded the latest Ver. of True Crypt and the who thing has been disabled on regards to Ver.7.2. You can't encrypt your system with it, so their for are going too have too revert too a previous Version.

Back
Top Bottom