Trouble setting up wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag28

Baseband Member
I'm trying to set up a wireless network in my house using a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. THe problem I'm having is after getting everything plugeed into the router and making sure all LED's are lit, it says it can not connect to internet during the inital setup from the CD. I unplug it from my router and back into a modem-PC and the internet works fine. ANy help would be greatly appreciated and if you need any info I'll be happy to give it.

did you try plugging your router just into the modem and seeing if your pc will detect it and connect? I know with my router the installation from cd never completed yet my router works fine.

wireless

You have to configurate your router t recongnise your linkys
enter the router configuration explained in the manual LOOK VOOR WEP EN WAP somelinksys are disabeld by the router. mail me if you dont kom out khammassi@hetnet.nl

What you want to do is plug all the computers onto the router then unplug the router and modem. Plug the modem back and wait about 10 second then plug the router back. Go to one of the computer and type cmd in run to open up command prompt. Type ipconfig /all to see if it received an IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS from the router.

Now ping your default gateway, for example if my IP information was IP= 192.168.1.101, subnet mask=255.255.255.0, default gateway=192.168.1.1, DNS 68.etc.etc.etc then I would type ping 192.168.1.1 to ping my default gateway which is my router. If you get a reply then ping your DNS server, if you get a reply then ping www.google.com

If you can ping your default gateway but can not go any further then that, then you will probably need to do the MAC cloning. Sometime your ISP will record the previous MAC address of the computer and will only allow that computer to connect, so adding a router and bypassing this filter would be difficult if you donÂ’t have the MAC cloning feature in your router. What you want to do is connect a computer that you connected before to the modem and try to repeat what you did to get online, now open up command prompt and do a ipconfig /all and take note of the physical address (MAC address) of that computer, plug every computer back into the router, go into the router configuration and find the MAC cloning setting, enter that computer MAC address into the setting and save. Unplug and plug the modem and router like above.

This may have been resolved by now, but one thing I have noticed that happens is your ISP assigns you an IP address based on your MAC address which is assigned to a port on their end. So only that MAC address is cleared to access the internet.

So, if you change the device that's connected to your WAN connection it will need to be "registered" with the ISP. Which is as simple as refreshing the DHCP on your WAN connection. This will give you a new WAN IP address and ultimately allow you to get out to the internet.

I ran into this when I update my router at home.

Again, when in doubt, release your current IP and renew for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom