Trouble Removing Heatsink - Pics Inside

dangerousbeme

In Runtime
I just received a slight CPU upgrade (AMD, socket 939), and am having problems actually installing it. More specifically, I can't even remove the heatsink. I've never removed one before, so forgive me if there is something I am missing.

I guess pictures are worth a thousand words:

overallla7.jpg

closeupleverje6.jpg

The lever right now is in a locked position, to the right hand side (if you are facing straight at the side which is it on, it appears to the right). To unlock it, you are supposed to life it up, and move it to the left. On the very end of the lever, there is a locking device, which I can't see clearly but appears to be just an open hole on the lever which clips around a tab that sticks out from the retention frame.

I would guess that to unlock it, you would simply unhook the end of the lever from the tab on the retention frame. However, those 3 things on the mobo that look like mini batteries are in the way. Right now, the lever is about 1-2 mm away from each of them.

Any suggestions?

yeah try to lift it with something.
I'd use a screwdriver, but most people (including me :D) would probably recommend using something which isn't made out of metal.

Those things are capacitors and they usually hold a charge even when powered down so be careful not to create a short. Try using anything that is non conductive of electricity. If you touch them, nothing will happen but don't apply enough force to break them off, lol.

Those things are capacitors and they usually hold a charge even when powered down so be careful not to create a short. Try using anything that is non conductive of electricity. If you touch them, nothing will happen but don't apply enough force to break them off, lol.

Those battery like devices are in the way. I'm sry but thats TFFRALMFAO!

Sry no AMD experience gl though.

they should have some give to them so you might be able to unlock the latch without breaking them off if you try a little harder. just do it slowly...

they should have some give to them so you might be able to unlock the latch without breaking them off if you try a little harder. just do it slowly...

Yup, I ended up moving it a bit diagonally so it didn't have to move them so much, and I got the heatsink off without having a heart attack. I'm posting with my new cpu right now =)

Good job. Did you re-use your old heatsink, or did your new CPU come with one?

If you used your old one, did you take off all the old thermal pasted and apply new stuff?

Back
Top Bottom