Trouble launching Portal

MetalOverlord76

Daemon Poster
For some reason, I have been having difficulty playing the game Portal. It's just the individual game Portal PC DVD, not the Orange Box set of games. I used to just be able to pop the CD in and start playing. However, recently this became immpossible for unknown reasons. I don't know if this is due to some sort of error in my Steam account. My username used to be GLaDOS with some other numbers at the name. I rarely ever log on so I can't quite remember exactly what the username is. But now, I have no idea why, but it is signed into a username that is my dad's email username. If he for some reason messed arround with this, could this be why I have trouble launching Portal? Everytime I try and play it, this happenes:

So it opens up the window asking me to Play, Uninstall, Reinstall, etc. I click play, but the only thing that happenes is that it takes me to the Steam store asking me to buy the game. I check the steam tab My Games and I see my game installed to it, as always. But everytime I click on it it takes me to the store again. I found that you can download the demmo Portal: The First Slice, but only lets you play the first 10 levels.

If you played it on the old account, i think the CD-Key is used on the MY GAMES section on your old account. That is probably why it says you need to buy the game.

If you played it on the old account, i think the CD-Key is used on the MY GAMES section on your old account. That is probably why it says you need to buy the game.

Dang it! LOL My dad just probably messed arround with it because HE is logged on for some reason... Should I just try to re-install it? Or something?

You can try if you have the old CD-Key.

Very well. But on the My Games tabs, it shows the origional installed game AND the demmo.

Here's some pictures I posted on Photobucket so that you all know what I am talking about.

Pic 1: Shows the game still installed, even though the username has somehow been switched to agoncalves.
Yammina

Pic 2: The result. The game will not start, and instead takes me to the Steam store, asking me to purchace the game.
Yammina

I will attempt to un-install everything then re-install. I assume it should work this time. I'm just glad that it's a short game and I can still play through the advanced test-chambers. If it was some sort of un-usually long RPG, well I'd just be bumed that I'd have to start all over :p

Damn! What's wrong with my stupid account????
Okay. Here's what I have so far to show what's going on. I guss I'll need to uninstall the demmo too? Man, IDK what the heck is happening here...

Error message... AGAIN :(
http://s810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/Yammina/?action=view&current=untitled.jpg

Well, I can't seem to figure out how to delete the demmo. I highlight it and hit delete but nothing happenes. I clicked Uninstall when the main menu opened up, but gave me the error message saying that the data is being used by The First Slice, and I cannot seem to remove the demmo either.

Oh I give up. I hate Steam. The problem will be fixed anyway eventually when I get a new computer and reinstall it... I don't know WTF is wrong here and how it can be resolved. I can't uninstall it for some reason.

Okay. I decided it was best to just purchase The Orange Box for the PS3, so that I can play Half-life etc. It's been working fine on it, no Steam access. Still trying to figure out what went wrong. And just to be clear, I understand I sort of... blew up on my previous comment... Portal was just frustrating because it was SUCH a huge main in the aer..... rectum....

Back
Top Bottom