Trouble booting PC

xbc

Beta member
I'm not exactly sure if this falls under software/hardware, I'm guessing hardware...

My Acer AX3400-E4502 worked pretty good for first few months, but now it takes forever to boot. It posts *BEEP*, but then pauses there..

I try to go into BIOS menu, or boot menu and nothing... Finally after ~1.5 minutes I see "starting windows" and the MS logo. Because of this, I pretty much stopped turning off my PC.

I do not have grub/lilo, its the default windows bootloader..

Any ideas? Anything would be helpful.

I try to go into BIOS menu, or boot menu and nothing... Finally after ~1.5 minutes I see "starting windows" and the MS logo.

Reset the bios and select the HDD as the 1st boot device.
then save and exit Bios.

Check the HDD by running chkdsk C: /r.

Hope this helps!
Bill

Thanks resetting my BIOS defaults did the trick, not sure why it worked.. At first I thought might have been the 50 usb devices plugged into it, but HDD was primary boot device.

Anyway thanks for the help :)

I feel an urgent need to help you identify a possible issue here - if your system is hanging on boot, clearing the BIOS/CMOS is only a temporary bandaid fix. If I were you, I would run two tests on the system to be absolutely certain there's no underlying issue. Why?

Hard Drive and RAM failures can cause this exact type of BIOS hang up, and when you clear the BIOS/CMOS you just clear out the trouble indicators until the next time the BIOS picks them up. That can be many days, weeks or months, or you can see it happen again in a few hours.

The best thing to do is to either grab a copy of Hirens Boot CD or the Boot CD that's hosted here on CF, and run the memory test (MemTest) and the hard drive tests (choose gwscan for maximum compatibility, I know this one is on Hirens, not sure if it's on our CF disk)

Then if both of those come back OK, you'll know that this isn't likely to rear its head later on and cause you more issues.

Back
Top Bottom