Transferring long filenames

ukeitaro

Baseband Member
Windows XP has a filename length limit of 255 characters. I have some files that exceed this limit, so I cannot easily copy them to another directory or burn them on a cd unless I shorten the subfolder names and filenames. Do any of you know a program or a method that allows you to bypass this limit? (e.g. zipping the file and then copying the zip file)

-Michael

P.S. If you use the trial version of a software (e.g. one that is accessible for only 30 days until you must buy the full copy), are you able to re-use the software for another 30 days by uninstalling and then reinstallling it?

natej315 said:
Shorten the file names :)
this would be the easiest thing to do.

kenlo said:
If you use the trial version of a software (e.g. one that is accessible for only 30 days until you must buy the full copy), are you able to re-use the software for another 30 days by uninstalling and then reinstallling it?

no. There might be some ways to do this, like deleting everything the program left behind in the registry or something, but u can't just uninstall it and then install it again.

Might also depend on the program, but I'd imagine that most of them prevent u from using it again by just reinstalling it.

mammikoura said:
this would be the easiest thing to do.

no. There might be some ways to do this, like deleting everything the program left behind in the registry or something, but u can't just uninstall it and then install it again.

Might also depend on the program, but I'd imagine that most of them prevent u from using it again by just reinstalling it.
Yeah, programs add registry keys that keeps track of how long you use it. The only way to do it would be to reformat your pc....or maybe delete the registry key..(not reccomended)

Shorten the filenames why do you need them so long. Make them shorter abbriate or however you say it.

Most of the names of the files and the folders are not too long (3-5 words), but there are a lot of folders + sub-folders because the files (my lab research documents) have gradually required this level of organization over the years. Any suggestions other than the obvious solution of shortening the names would be great.

Back
Top Bottom