Transfer Hosting company

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollan

Beta member
Hi there

I have been trying to transfer the hosting company for my site.

I have successfully uploaded the files into the new ftp but it seems to be a problem in database access.

How could I solve this problem?

Thank you for your help

contact the company you transfered your files to, and explain the problem to them.

or,

give us more information, because you haven't given very much.

I would contact the company first, however.

If your site uses a mysql db you will need to back that up as well and move it.

Then, edit the config file of your site to the new name of the db.

The problem will be that the name of your database has changed.
You will need to edit the database config file with the new localhost

yeah. I mean, you could cheap out and keep the dbname/uname/pass the same, but some hosts add weird **** to the db like Username_ which can make it annoying.

Editting the config file is pretty easy. Most scripts call it just that, config.php

look for something like the following in your config.php file:

$dbms = 'mysql';

$dbhost = 'hostname';
$dbname = 'databasename';
$dbuser = 'username';
$dbpasswd = 'password';

change "hostname" to the new one provided by the new hosting company and change the other variables to get everything working smoothly.

Virtual accounts will have a prefix on the database name. It takes the form: hostusername_clientusername for cPanel generated accounts. So pay special attention to the prefix on your new database name.

Virtual accounts will have a prefix on the database name. It takes the form: hostusername_clientusername for cPanel generated accounts. So pay special attention to the prefix on your new database name.

I know, that is outrageously annoying. When I first used cpanel I spent like an hour wondering why my dbs all stopped working. haha.

Actually I got that mixed up. It's clientusername_tablename. Since there are multiple clients on one database server, prefixes are forced to limit the possibility of duplicate names.

If you transfer to a similar server (which uses the same naming convention) and keep your username the same, you shouldn't have to change anything (as long as you have the same MySQL username and password created on the new server and assigned to that database).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom