touchscreen vs keyboard on small mobile devices

jason87x

Solid State Member
I've never had an iphone or anything of that caliber before, but I tried one out and was impressed by the whole touch interface. However I then realized that the touchscreen interface doesn't always work well for things like typing. You need to type text to communicate (aka texting) which is a big part of small mobile devices. So which in your opinion (or if you have scientific facts to back it up) of these three interfaces would be the best?

1. Touchscreen, similar to the iphone. The keyboard is of course on the screen, and the virtual keys would be pretty small, say for example 12mm x 12mm. I've heard "typing" on one of these things can get tiring because most devices like this use glass for the screen. Also I have fat fingers (not fat myself, just huge hands).

2. A physical keyboard, and a screen laptop fold or slide style like some smartphones. Keys would be 12mm x 12mm, assuming a template of a standard 1234567890 QWERTYUIOP. Increasing key size (14mm keys possible alternative) would make device bulky and most likely not pocketable.

3. Something smaller, say like the size of an ipod nano. Small screen, has four arrow buttons and maybe a couple essentials like Enter, Back, Exit, etc. Navigation on a keyboard to input text would be done with arrow keys. Possible option (well for all of them really) would be to have mini USB keyboard of smaller size itself to attach to it.

4. Other ideas?

If you bash the third option, don't bash it because of a small screen. Mobile devices almost always have small screens and I've noticed that large screens are only really needed for three things: gaming (depends on the game type), movies (sometimes, small screens may sometimes be okay for that too), and looking at large pictures or needing large pictures for certain purposes (aka pr0n).

I doubt you would have an issue adjusting to a virtual touch screen. And I don't think there made from the kind of glass your thinking of.

Also, I just typed this whole post on my droids touch screen in about 45 seconds with no errors. So... you pick.

After switching from a QWERTY keyboard to a full on touchscreen I'll never go back to a physical keyboard again. I can actually type faster on my iPhone that I could with the slide out keyboard. The only downside is you actually have to look while you type, where a physical keyboard is easier to type without looking.

there is a slight learning curve for the touch screen. I've had mine for a few months now. I like it just fine.

Once you get used to it, the swype interface is much faster than typing on a physical (phone-sized) keyboard. Virtual keyboards also allow for different layouts and and more buttons than you could normally have on a physical keyboard.

I've noticed that large screens are only really needed for three things: gaming (depends on the game type), movies (sometimes, small screens may sometimes be okay for that too), and looking at large pictures or needing large pictures for certain purposes

I couldn't disagree more. Large screens are better for pretty much everything. I'd go crazy if I had to do all my computing on a phone, or even a netbook. It's impossible to multitask at all, and it makes regular tasks take longer.

Hmm the swype interface does look interesting, but doesn't it require a dictionary? I read an article about that and he said he had to manually add like curse words to it. I never type from a dictionary lol. Still it sounds neat.

Also with the screen size issue, I guess to each his own. With a small mobile device, a small screen is pretty much inevitable. I myself prefer smaller screens as they hurt my eyes less and compact the useful information better (well, when the software UI is built for a smaller screen). Bigger screens can get cluttered with useless things like the designer's attempt to be "creative" and with ads. However with bigger screens I guess you can tile and put many different apps on the same screen, rather than like tab switching or something. I usually like one app taking up the screen, which is why little IM clients or things like the gimp (AHHHHHH) bug me and I like command line things. But if you don't even like a netbook screen do you have like a 17" laptop or something (which would be too heavy for me to carry around)?

Back
Top Bottom